05

The days passed on slowly but surely. Peter and I texted and hung out when we could. He had finally gotten his charges dropped thanks to his incredible lawyer, Matt Murdock.

Then the college letters starting rolling in.

Peter had been rejected by every one of his backup schools because of his reputation.

"That's bullshit!" I told him. "You're a superhero, you're an avenger for crying out loud! How could they reject you?"

Peter shrugged. "Wasn't meant to be, I guess."

Neither of us had heard back from MIT.

Until today.

As soon as I got my letter, I caught a taxi to Peter's apartment. I had gotten in. I got into MIT.

I tried calling him to let him know I was on my way, but there was no answer.

"Hey Pete, I guess you're really busy right now. Just wanted to let you know I was coming by, I have some news. Call me when you can." I said to his voicemail.

The taxi I was in for stuck in heavy traffic on a bridge, causing us to wait for what seemed like forever. I scrolled on my phone in an attempt to make time go faster, when I felt the ground began to shake.

"What's going on?" I ask, looking out the window. In front of us, cars began blowing up. From the concrete emerged a man with four menacing looking arms.

"Oh my god..." I say, scrambling for my seatbelt. I felt the bridge shake with such ferocity cars were flipping. I finally got the belt undone and exiting the car with the driver, hoping to make it out alive.

I look up and see Peter jumping from car to car.

"Peter!" I exclaim.

"Makayla, run!" Peter yells, motioning for me to keep going.

People around me are running for their lives, while some remain frozen in fear.

I look to my right and see and mother and daughter stuck in the backseat, the front end of the SUV hanging off the side of the bridge. I can hear the girl crying. I look over and see Peter occupied with the metal arm man. I know I have to save these people myself.

I rush over to the SUV and carefully open the trunk.

"Listen to me, move slowly, unbuckle your seatbelts." I say.

The mother nods, unbuckling herself and her daughter. The small girl can't be older than three years old.

"Okay, the small one first." I say, reaching an arm up carefully.

I grab the small girls forearm and gently pull her back onto the bridge. As soon as she's safe, she clings to my body.

"Thank you." She cries into my leg. I smoothed our her hair.

"Okay, let's get your mommy out too." I say.

I turn to the woman. "Ma'am, i'm not going to lie, the weight of your body shifting can cause this thing to go overboard. Move slowly, and when I have a hold on you, push off as hard you can."

The woman nods, slowly turning her body to face the bridge. I grab her arm.

"Ready?" I ask. She nods. "On the count of three. One, two, three." I pull the woman as hard as I can and she pushes off, causing the car to fall. I pull as hard as I can and somehow get her onto the bridge.

The girl holds her mom tightly. "You saved us." The mom says. "Thank you."

"Anytime." I smile. "Now go, get out of here." I say. They both take off running.

I'm thinking about doing the same, when I see a man pinned under a car. I'm rushing towards him when a loud explosion throws me off my feet and makes the world around me go black.