𝟬𝟬𝟳 ; 𝖻𝗂𝗋𝗍𝗁𝖽𝖺𝗒 𝗁𝗈𝗎𝗋

007. birthday hour

After finishing reading the whole book, Wilbur gave it to Harry (who had long calmed down) and he thanked the younger Potter. While Wilbur was reading, he multitasked and finished his essay as well. It was mostly about Wendelin the Weird, and he was pretty confident that he'll at least have a double-digit grade.

Bored, he held his flashlight up for Harry, who was reading the book he had earlier, and listened in for any noises. Their Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon and their son, Dudley, had been their only family left. But they weren't particularly the nicest people on the planet. And almost every time they were in the house, they would be careful to not upset their aunt and uncle. Their cousin they could handle just fine. A little scare with showing their wands should do the trick.

Harry shivered, feeling cold. Hedwig has yet to return with the letter Hermione always sends him. He couldn't shut the windows just yet, and if he did, Hedwig would have to tap on the window, which would cause a lot of ruckus. That could wake up the Durlseys, which was the last thing he and Wilbur would want to happen.

But Harry doubts that an owl's light tapping on the window  would be louder than Dudley's snores. Yet it wasn't a risk he was willing to take. So he just leaves it be, but not Wilbur who nudged his brother.

Harry turns to him, and noticed how Wilbur gestured to their blankets. Harry noticed the signatures that were written on it with permanent marker. It was theirs and theirs only.

They scooted closer, letting the blanket act as a tent over them as Harry silently worked on his essay. Wilbur was glad the torture was over but he couldn't say the same for Harry, who looked like he was having a hard time.

"Hedwig's been gone for a long time."

"I'm not worried," said Harry, voice tense and reply immediate. "she's probably hunting or something."

"'Or something' he says." Wilbur mused but didn't press any further, worried for his brother's owl as well. Harry may not admit it but it was clear in his tone that he was worried for Hedwig, his brother's snowy owl, hasn't returned after five days.

Rigel, the Great Horned Owl that Wilbur has, has yet to return to him. It worries Wilbur and when Rigel gets home, he would have to let the owl have his rest. As much as Wilbur loves to give presents and letters to his dear, beloved Hermione - he has to let Rigel rest.

It was hard. Having to choose between Rigel and Hermione. They both mean a lot to Wilbur.

"You done?" Wilbur asks, noticing how Harry was fixing everything.

But he shook his head. "Not yet, maybe tomorrow. Sleep is catching up." Harry replied, rubbing his left eye and Wilbur could feel the weigh and exhaustion on his shoulders as well. So, he gave his other brother a feeble nod, looking to the alarm clock on their bedside table

His eyebrows shot up, eyes wide for a fraction at the time. He didn't notice. It was one o'clock, and Wilbur's stomach gave a funny jolt. It was his and Harry's birthday today, but he wasn't feeling any of it, only wanting to lay back on their bed and sleep.

He had loads of reading tonight, a birthday would just be worse.

Noticing how his brother wasn't shifting on the bed, Harry looks up and glances to where Wilbur was looking at. Understandably, it was their alarm clock, and he too, felt a funny jolt upon seeing that it was one o'clock. It was their birthday, but he knows how much Wilbur dreads it.

"Happy Birthday, Gilbert." Their birthday (or when Harry was mad) was when Harry could call his brother by his real name.

And he got the same result, a broad grin before he hugged his brother, Harry reciprocating it happily.

A birthday with the Dursleys is hell, but when they have each other to celebrate it with, it was the only best thing they received.

- ⚯ -

Dear Wilbur,

It's been a while since I've sent you a letter, Rigel was pretty tired when he arrived here - I'm taking the holidays in France, I've told it to Harry as well - so I let him rest for a couple of days. I hope you don't mind. Rigel seemed to have enjoyed himself here. Mum and Dad was pleased to meet Rigel again, giving him food and all and pampering him the way you do to him.

Other than that, how are you? I hope your aunt and uncle haven't given you a hard time this year. Especially since that telephone incident, I do hope they weren't too hard on you and Harry.

Also, Harry told me that you've been doing your essays and reading a lot, which is great! I understand that Quidditch is a sport that you're serious about, but you must understand that your classes and grades should be taken seriously as well, and not to be taken lightly.

Hedwig and Rigel showed up today, and I reckon that they want something for you and Harry's birthday for a change. I'm not sure if Rigel could carry the parcels, so I had Hedwig deliver it some of it, the rest are for Rigel.

And have you seen Ron and his family a week ago? I'm really jealous - I bet he's learning a lot with ancient Egyptian wizards. They were amazingly after all.

I've already sent Harry a local history of witchcraft. If you aren't done - or you need to add something - with your History of Magic essay then you can include some things. I've rewritten mine, and I do hope that it wasn't too long. I've done about two more parchment rolls than Professor Binns asked for.

Ron said that he'll be at London in the last week of the holidays. Could you and Harry make it? I really hope your aunt and uncle would let you come. But if not, then I'll see you both at Hogwarts Express on September first!

Take care of yourself, Will.

Lots of love,

Hermione

And that's when Wilbur screamed when he saw the various clothing Hermione gifted him.