𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐭 (𝟏) [𝐛.𝐭 𝐱 𝐦.𝐧]

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ 𝐚𝐮: 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐰𝐚𝐫 𝐚𝐮 ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐫/𝐬: 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐨𝐭𝐨+𝐛𝐲𝐚𝐤𝐮𝐲𝐚 // 𝐛𝐲𝐚𝐤𝐮𝐲𝐚+𝐤𝐲𝐨𝐤𝐨 ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

.。*゚+.*.。𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐱 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐫 .。*゚+.*.。

it smelt like wood and must. it sounded like old men and the clinking of glasses. byakuya togami kept his eyes trained on a single ice cube that floated in his sixth glass of liquor. he sat in his miserable solitude on most days recently, drinking away his sorrow. he hadn't returned to work in 3 years. seeing as work was the reason he was taking time off, he couldn't find the courage to go back.

he took a slow sip of the beverage in his right hand, before roughly slamming it down onto the wooden table in front of him. now unbothered to finish the drink, he left a few bills on the table and left the musty bar with the slam of the door. though slam is used loosely, as it sort of just floated closed no matter how much force he put into closing it.

knowing full well that he was too intoxicated to drive (and not looking to receive jail time any time soon), he walked away from the bar and towards a small cliff he knew was well known for its view. he often went there as well, to clear his many thoughts. he used to come here with his partner too-- all those years ago. the moonlight peaked out from the clouds that littered the night sky. it was cold out, and byakuya did not have a coat, but he seemed to enjoy the frost that bit at his skin. it was tender, and a nice contrast from the inside of the bar.

below the cliff was a small, empty beach. what should be filled with sand was instead replaced with small pebbles and rocks, that the salty water crashed and slammed against. with the constant flow of the ocean, came a cool breeze that added to the briskness of the night. byakuya lifted a hand to move a piece of hair away from his face.

he looked down. the bottom of the cliff looked more shallow than reality. surely plummeting from this height would fail to result in survival. it was a good out- a great out even, if the moment called for it.

it was pitiful that he even needed to consider it.

--flashback--

"what are you thinking about, makoto?"  byakuya said to his long gone partner in a low, almost whisper tone that conflicted against the crash of the waves.

"byakuya, what would you be doing if you weren't a spy?" he responded earnestly, their hands that were propping themselves up as they sat on the edge of the cliff just inches away from each other.

"oh."  he thought for a moment, the pair sitting in a comfortable silence. "i would guess something similar. i had always dreamed of a profession like this. knowing me and my ambitions as a young child, i wouldn't have given up until i achieved my goals."

"that sounds like the byakuya i know." makoto chuckled softly.

"what about you? what would you be doing?" he asked.

"i'd probably be a chef."

byakuya had to stifle a laugh at his reply. "a chef? You would be a chef?"

"almost positive. what can i say? i love food."

"that's ridiculous." byakuya shook his head in disbelief.

"do you think we would know each other if i was a chef?" makoto dangerously swung his feet, that were dangling many metres above the ground.

"hmm." byakuya hummed. "i think we were destined to know each other know matter who we were or where we came from."

"even if we were on opposite sides of the war?"

"especially if we were on opposite sides of the war." byakuya nodded.

"well i'm glad we're not on opposites sides of the war." makoto said truthfully. "i'm very glad we're partners."

there was a short silence. byakuya took the time to take a deep breath before replying.

"me too."

--flashback end--

byakuya groaned in emotional agony, as he stepped slowly closer to the edge of the cliff. perhaps he would be able to meet makoto again. see his face, only a memory now. his soft features and optimistic outlook no matter what they were doing. if only he had become a damn chef, so that he didn't have to face such an untimely demise. byakuya would be able to visit him on weekends, or late at night after his missions were complete. they'd spent a lovely night together with glasses of wine, sitting in comfortable clothes reading books or playing games. anything to forget about the awful reality of life--

he took another step forward, the toe of his shoes just inches off the cliff. there would be a tear against his cheek if he hadn't already cried all of the tears left to cry.

just one more step and they could be reunited. perhaps they would be happy in the afterlife. or maybe reincarnation exists, and they could finally live a happy life together with destiny to meet on their sides.

byakuya's phone rings. he curses under his breath. he reaches into his pocket and flips his phone open to answer it.

"agent togami speaking."

"am i interrupting something?" a snarky voice rang out in response.

he instinctively took a couple steps back and looked around him, thinking that they were perhaps watching him get too close to the edge of the cliff. he saw nobody, then cleared his throat.

"i'm not sure what you're referring to." his boss was on the line. who also happened to be his older sister, shinobu togami.

"oh i just assumed you were sulking over your partner again, drunk and about to do something stupid. am i right?" she sneered through the phone.

"what do you want?" he snapped back, finally walking away from the cliff for good.

"we need you to return. i can't keep giving you more time off. you're a spy. an agent. you'll lose that title if you don't come back."

"i can't."

"you can't? well that's a lousy excuse. i was hoping for a 'but i'm still grieving' whine."

"shinobu-"

"tsk tsk! i thought i told you to call me blue ink. just because your my brother, doesn't mean you don't have to call me by my proper name. i'm still your boss, you know."

"blue ink is not your proper name. and i think it's quite foolish in all honestly." he exhaled, stuffing a hand in his pocket.

"i didn't inquire about your opinion. you have until tomorrow to get to my office so i can give you your next mission. you'll regret it if you don't show up."

and just like that, she hung up. byakuya sighed and returned his phone to his pocket. he was still far from sober, so he called a taxi and made his way back to his abode. he'd sleep it off and regrettably go see shinobu in the morning. 

he'd have to face his past eventually.

a/n yes this is inspired by spies are forever pls watch it okay bye [part two will def come eventually]

please vote if you're enjoying these :D any form of support is majorly appreciated!!