𝐨𝐧𝐞

PART I: THE GAMES

       FINNICK FOUND OUT IN HIS EMPTY LIVING ROOM THAT HE'D HAVE TO GO BACK

"On the seventy-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol, the male and female tributes will be reaped from their existing pool of victors." Snow looked up to the cameras as he finished reading from the letter inside the yellow envelope, and Finnick felt as if he was staring right at him.

There was no one around him, no one to hold on to, no one to talk to. Just him at the screen as they announced his worst nightmare.

The Victor's Village of District 4 had never been this agitated.

Finnick stepped outside the mansion, one that he did his best to not stay in for a long time. He preferred to visit the Capitol, even though he hated that as well, rather than live in the reminder of the deaths provoked by his hands. He felt as if the entire structure was made of the skulls and bones of the people that died in that arena.

But as soon as he got out of the door, he saw her.

Belle Peacebrook.

Belle Peacebrook was in the company of her older brother and her mother when she found out what was so special about the third Quarter Quell. They were bringing back the winners. An All Star team which would only mean she would be standing on that stage in the plaza waiting in silent suffer to be drawn to her death... once again.

Her brother and her mother hurried to calm her, but she couldn't bare to look at them in the eyes. Belle stood up from her couch and hurried to the door. There was only one person that could understand what she was going through.

Finnick.

As she opened the door, she saw him walking out of his even bigger mansion, standing there with his big sea green eyes and his bronze colored hair, looking as if he had just seen a ghost.

He knew the same thing she had realized just a few seconds after hearing the announcement.

They both met half ways. They hadn't been this close in eight years, or maybe never. They both seemed flustered, and tired. The memories of those sea green eyes watching her from afar in the lake came to her mind. She recalled both of them fishing, the laughs, the secrets only seven year olds might find important. The stolen glances in class, and the pain of the Hunger Games. She could see all of that in those beautiful green eyes.

Finnick placed his hands on her arms, near her shoulders. Could this be the last time he'd ever be this close with her? How much he cried after her reaping, how relieved he was when she was crowned, all just to waist the next eight years by not wrapping his arms around her and never letting her go.

He had eight years to be with her and he didn't, and now this seemed like the punishment. This was a reminder that time isn't forever, not even for him.