𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

OH, THE PRIVATE SESSIONS

OH, THE PRIVATE SESSIONS. Belle had been through this. Her last private session, eight years ago, she threw three daggers at the same time, hitting three different dummies with each one. One in the head, the other in the heart, and the last one in the crouch. She got a nine.

Now, she was aiming for something different.

She was sitting on the bench next to Finnick, both of them holding each other's hands. He was holding her hand, watching as Wiress walked inside for her private session, knowing that Finnick was coming next.

"What are you going to do?" She asked him in a whisper. He was about to reply when she stopped him. "No, uhm, better... tell me later. Before the dinner with the tributes."

"Right, the dinner that Snow invented to make us become even bigger social pariahs or outcasts. Make us seat down in a big table in some sort of last supper Capitol style to reminds us that we are going to kill the only friends we've managed to make in the few years," Finnick said. "Don't you find that exhilarating?"

"I find it traumatizing and cruel," she whispered back, laying her head on Finnick's shoulder. "Two days before we are back."

"I know," he mumbled before kissing her head. "I'm sorry about everything. I'm sorry for wasting the time we had."

It was just a reminder that time is not forever. Not for them at least. And not for anyone.

"Finnick," they called him. It was his turn. Finnick turned to look at Belle and placed a kiss on her cheek before standing up, walking inside the training center.

Belle covered her face with her hands, his foot began tapping the floor repeatedly. The warmth of Finnick's fingers had now faded from hers, and the anxiousness had finally hit.

What was she going to do in there?

Knapping wasn't very impressive. She already threw daggers eight years ago and she hadn't practiced any tricks with them over that time. She was rusty.

She slowly turned to look at Peeta and Katniss. They were fresh. They had just won their games. Was that a favor or a disadvantage?

She looked at the door. How long had it been? What was Finnick doing in there? Was she supposed to move? To ask? No, she had to focus on her skill. Daggers. Knapping. Knapping daggers. With what? She still hadn't perfect the dagger technique.

Maybe there are thinner stones in the arena. Yes, the only way to get thinner stones in the arena is to show the Gamemakers what she can do and get them to like her enough to put what she needed in there.

Peeta had just given her an idea.

"Belle."

As she was called, she stood up and walked inside the training center. Finnick was leaving through the other door but they got the chance to glance at each other. She could swear he gave her a smile.