Late nights with almond tofu

"My lady..."

...Yin?

"Don't look for me anymore."

Everything was so dark. You couldn't see anything. Every direction you turned to you were met with darkness.

"Yin? Is it really you?" Your voice echoing in the empty space made you feel small and insignificant in the scale of it all. Where were you? Everything was black; even the ground beneath your feet was nothing more than empty space.

"He's found you. Stop looking for me and run." Yin's voice was coming from every direction in the intimidating darkness, making you disoriented.

"Tell me where you are. I'll come and find you!" You yelled, hoping she'd hear you but no reply came. The big ball of anxiety in your gut coiled even tighter, making you want to throw up.

You started running in a random direction, hoping to finally find something that wasn't emptiness. You called out for your yaksha but there was only silence.

You halted. All of a sudden there were footsteps. Heavy footsteps. They weren't Yin's, that much you could tell. You wanted to call out one more time but the abrupt fear curled around your body made you freeze. Each step taken boomed in the vast void and it vibrated throughout your body and your head.

A white mask floated towards you.

What was he doing here?

Why was he here again?

Unadulterated dread filled you to your very bones and your features contorted with fear. His voice rang all around you just like Yin's had but this time it filled the space around you with the intention of death.

You grabbed the mask floating around you, the smile plastered on the white surface jeering at you. You exercised a small amount of force through your hands, successfully shattering the disgusting object as you heaved and sweat dripped from your brow.

As you looked up into the empty space above you, you were met with millions of the white masks, identical to the one you just destroyed. You took an apprehensive step back and turned around to run just to run into a white mask three times the size of you. It towered over you as horror shook your body.

The masks were now laughing, seemingly amused at your fear. They were so loud, their laughs ricocheting around in your brain. You covered your ears and yet the volume of them remained the same. And in the chaos of it all you heard him.

"I. Found. You."

---

A scream tore its way out of your throat as you woke up. Your lungs were desperate for air as you heaved, sweat dripping down your forehead and back.

A dream. It was only a dream.

One of the many you've had lately. However, this time you were sure you heard someone else. It was Yin, surely. You'd never mistake her voice. Was it just your subconscious or was she really visiting you in your dreams?

If she truly was, then that means - you sat up abruptly, eyes wide.

Then that means he had her. There was no way he could know she was visiting your dreams and interrupt them like that if he wasn't with her. And the fact that she warned you about him was convincing you of that fact.

You laid back down on the bed uncomfortably. You were still sweaty and your eyes stung with unshed tears but you still lied back down on the sweaty bed sheets. You couldn't be bothered with changing them right now.

If she was telling you to get away from here then she knew he was after you. The masked man had your yaksha. You didn't want to imagine what he was doing to her. The thought of it made bile rise in your stomach. You'd save her. At least you had a clue now. If you wanted to find her then you had to find that vile creature as well.