Gaze from within

"The Tsaritsa is coming here?" You asked incredulously, head feeling dizzy.

Childe hummed in confirmation. "Yes, she is. I went out to meet with some agents to prepare for our trip and they informed me of the Tsaritsa's plan to come here instead." He placed his chin in his hand, a puzzling look overtaking his features. "Though I am quite confused myself, I don't seem to understand her reason for coming here."

"There isn't any," Zhongli replied. You'd noticed the line in his eyebrows, the frown on his lips, the hard lines on his face coming back, looking stern. He'd given up his gnosis to keep Liyue safe and now the Tsaritsa was coming here and with her goal being capturing you, you doubted it would settle peacefully.

"Zhongli, I promise I won't let her harm anyone," you said resolutely.

"That is why I am here in the first place, I will fulfil my duty, Rex Lapis," Xiao bowed his head with a hand on his chest.

Zhongli's features softened just the tiniest bit. "Xiao, your duty was over the moment Rex Lapis' legacy died. You are free."

Xiao turned his head away as if denying what Zhongli was saying. "I will not allow Liyue to perish, not while I breathe."

"Very well, then," Zhongli hummed.

Yin stepped forward. "This all happened because of me anyway, I do not mind lending you a hand once again. Though I must say, this time I will not be leaving my lady's side," she called out.

Zhongli bowed his head. "I understand and I accept those terms,"

"Hey now, why are you talking as if the Tsaritsa is going to come here and murder everyone?" Childe questioned defensively, letting out an uneasy laugh.

"Are you implying she is gonna come here and have some lotus tea and leave then?" Xiao said sarcastically.

"Well, I am not sure what she wants to do in Liyue in the first place."

"Then keep your mouth shut. You brought her here. You and your sly means, betraying us and our trust. Those are your and your Archon's ways," Xiao said angrily while taking a step closer to Childe, face contorted in anger.

"Aw, are you saying you trusted me at one point?" Childe laughed, hands up in mock surrender. Xiao growled and summoned his spear. The scene was nostalgic to you and you let a small smile unknowingly grace your lips before you shook your head and remembered you were supposed to not let them murder each other.

You stepped in between them, facing Xiao. Seeing you step in front of him he immediately put down his spear and his features relaxed. "Please calm down, we need to get ready."

"Get ready for what?" Childe asked.

"We need a plan for when the Tsaritsa comes and I'm afraid to say you won't be allowed to participate," you said. "For obvious reasons," you added.

Childe pouted for a second before his face fell serious. "Look, I don't understand why the Tsaritsa is going to come here either but behind her hard mask, she is a gentle soul. She would never hurt anyone without a reason."

"What if her reason is unreasonable either way?" Yin asked.

"She isn't a tyrant, she won't do something like this," he defended.

"How would you know?" This time it was Xiao who bombarded the harbinger with questions.

You stepped back to observe the way the two yakshas almost bonded over cornering the harbinger. They did fight together a long time ago, they weren't complete strangers.

You sighed and let them be, turning to Zhongli. To an outsider, he'd look stone-faced, unbothered and uncaring but you'd known him for over 4000 years. You saw the clench of his jaw, the way his nails dug into his palms where he had them crossed across his chest, the tiniest of creases in his eyebrow.