I Love You

"Aru!"

Aru gasped as she woke up. She sat up so quickly that she felt dizzy, and she blinked rapidly to regain her bearings.

A hand shook her shoulder. "Shah, what's wrong?"

Aru didn't answer. Without warning, she felt her tears spill out, and she brought her hands to her face.

"Aru. Aru, look at me."

The same hand brought Aru's chin up, making her look up. Aiden stared back at her, his eyes creasing with worry.

She gasped, and she suddenly brought her hands up to his face. Was this the real Aiden? She squeezed his cheeks, soaking in his warmth. 

"A-Aiden?" she croaked. "You're not dead?"

He placed his hand over her own. "No, of course I'm not. I'm here, right with you. You just had a bad dream, that's all."

Aiden's okay? She thought to herself. Then, she narrowed her eyes. What if he was the cruel Aiden? But staring into his starry eyes, she banished the thought. There wasn't a single glint of anger or malice in his eyes. It was the real Aiden.

He frowned, concern etched into his features. "Are you okay, Shah? What's wrong?"

To her horror, Aru began to sob. Huge, sniveling sobs.

"It's all because of me!" she burst out. "It's all my fault! I-I shouldn't have-"

Warm, steady arms wrapped around her as Aiden enveloped her in a huge hug. Aru went still, but she cried into his shoulder, her tears staining his green hoodie. But at the moment, she didn't care.

"Shah," said Aiden gently, running his hand back and forth down her back. "Calm down. I'm right here with you."

"I'm sorry," she said, sniffling. "Please don't hate me."

"What? Shah, you're not making any sense," Aiden said soothingly. "Why would I hate you? Why would any of us hate you?"

"But you will!" She cried even harder. "You will! And you'll die because of me too!"

"Of course not! Aru, I-I love you, why would I hate you? And dying...just what did you dream about?"

"Don't love me!" she cried. "It's because of that love that you will die! Remember the prophecy?"

Aiden went quiet, but he kept stroking her back. "Calm down, Aru," he said, not quite answering her question. "Just calm down. I'm right here," he comforted. "I won't leave you."

He kept repeating those words, until Aru finally stopped shaking. She just realized what situation they were in, and she could feel her cheeks burning with embarrassment. Aru slowly tried to dislodge herself, but Aiden held on tight.

"Have you calmed down?"

Aru nodded into his chest. "Sorry."

Aiden patted the back of her head. "You don't have to feel sorry towards me, Shah. Not ever." He hesitated before continuing. "Do you want to talk about it? You weren't making any sense earlier."

Aru rested her face against his hoodie, taking in his fresh laundry scent.

"I- I don't," she answered after a while. "I can't." This time, she firmly moved away from him, breaking out of his hug. She looked away, keeping her gaze on anything but Aiden.

He still sat on the edge of her bed, not moving. Aiden took a deep breath and said, "Shah, we have to talk. You've been avoiding me- No, don't deny it," he said, as she made a move to argue. "You know it's true."