Chapter One - A Foggy Beginning

Unedited

The fog was thick as it travelled through the streets. It was a dangerous place to be out at night, deep in the city with fog that would not let you see three metres in front of you. Car horns blared as they rushed down the road, people using the torches along the path to let others see them.

Cameron Dyers watched through the glass of a local café as she scrubbed down the wooden tables, ready to close for the night. Her inky coloured, curly locks were tied up into a ponytail with a bobble she kept on her person for emergencies. Her skin was tanned from the summer days spent wondering about the city searching for a job.

"Dyers! Stop daydreaming and clean up!" The manager of the café shouted from the back.

Cameron jumped, knocking the tray that was on the table onto the floor, all the dirty dishes and cups smashing onto the floor. She dropped to her knees, grabbing the tray and picking up the sharp pieces of ceramic and glass that were scattered in all directions.

She was so done for now.

"I swear if that was another plate, you are finished." The manager yelled, stomping through the doors that led to the back. The manager stood still when she saw the mess, and Cameron bit her lip from making more excuses.

She had become an extremely jumpy person, a noise to a simple nudge on the shoulder being able to startle her. That had been one of the many issues of finding a job, they could all seem to tell. With how she eyed each person like a danger, always checking over her back and never making conversation with any of the other staff, she was quick to be fired over a simple issue. Such as now.

"You're fired." The manager snarled. "Clean this up and get the hell out of here."

Cameron nodded her head, picking up all the bigger pieces she could and placing them on the tray. She bit her lip with a sharp edge that caught her skin, drawing blood from her shaking palm. She ignored it though, and rushed to go get the brush to clean up the mess she had made.

She understood where all the managers were coming from. She wouldn't want a jumpy, stand-offish teen working for her either. With the bags under her eyes, and shaky hands, she didn't give off the best appearance. With that said, she always did the work given to her, but rumours were always a bitch.

Dumping the remains of the destroyed dishes in the bin, she was quick to grab her coat, keeping her head down so she didn't make eye contact with the manager, and scurried out the back.

The fog had lifted slightly, letting her see further in front of her than this morning when she had gone to work. She could see the street lights above her, seemingly hanging in the sky without a pole due to the fog.

Rummaging in her pocket, she dragged her phone out, a gift given to her by her brothers.

20:32

She had finished thirteen minutes early. Hopefully they would still pay her for the split shift she had just done. A couple of her past jobs had made a big issue of not paying her, but after a strong email from herself, they had coughed up the money. She did have to keep a couple of her brothers from going down there though. She could handle it herself.

At the rate she was going with losing jobs though, no one was going to want to hire her.

The walk from her, now old, job to the apartment she had been living in for three months only took fifteen minutes, going through a couple back streets and through one mall. She made it her job not to draw any attention to herself. From people on the street or officers of the law.

Even though Ashley believed she had died, she didn't want her name anywhere. She was lucky that this city was so far away from her old home that they had never even seen the news of what happened in Charlie's Corner Café. That was one of the reasons they had moved her after all.