11. School Dance

"Oh. My. GOD!"

Zak choked on his Monster when Amelia said it. He was still trying to get used to not despising her.

"What?" He grumbled. 6:00AM. He had to be at school at 6:00AM. Too fucking early for a practice, but Sapnap had made it clear that his team needed to use the gym all day. Luckily, practice was over, and he had a half-hour break.

Amelia spun around and shoved her phone in Zak's face. At first, Zak couldn't see it, and just feared she had seen the picture of Darryl cuddling him. Then she let out an "oh, sorry." and pulled the phone back slightly.

When his eyes readjusted to the beaming phone, he was disappointed... and relieved. It wasn't the gay picture, it was a school email. "The... Valentine's Dance?" Zak muttered.

"YES! I've been waiting for this dance! And now I have a partner to go with me! No more blackmailing boys and girls into dancing with me!"

Zak blinked a couple times. "You... uh, what?"

"Oh, it's nothing." Amelia sighed dismissively, waving her hand at the younger boy. "Did you have it Sophmore year? I didn't, but it could've changed for you young'uns."

Zak scoffed. "I'm not that young! You're less than a YEAR older than me, dammit!"

She snickered. "Stupid."

Zak was pretty energized. Not energized enough to remember that Amelia had once tried to ruin his life. Not once, twice, thrice, MORE than that. They were cool, as far as Zak could tell.

"What kind of dance?"

Amelia rolled her eyes and smiled. "The one you bring a date to! I can bring my joyfriend, and you could bring your boyyyyfriend!" She dragged the world like a taunting older sibling. "Come on come on come onnnn!"

Zak blushed. "nO! Why would I ask Darryl to the dance?!"

"Because you like hiiiiiiiim~" she poked Zak's arm a bit.

Zak smacked her arm away. "Fuck you. And I am not going. It's a stupid thing for stupid hopeless romantics, such as yourself. I'm not a simp like you."

Amelia glared at him unamused. "Is that Darryl in a maid outfit?"

Zak whipped his head facing back. "WHAT?! WHERE?!"

Amelia giggled as Zak turned around and glared at her. "Oh haha. Very funny." He grumbled. "Coming from the hoe who tried to hook up with a homosexual."

"Hey, I never tried to hook up with you!" She scoffed, offended.

Zak blushed. "NO- I'm not gay, I'm b- uh, BAD. I WAS TALKING ABOUT BAD- DARRYL."

"Stop being flustered and homophobic, Zak."

"I agree with Amelia. Being homophobic is a horrible mindset, and you should accept what happens to be most of your friend group." Darryl said from behind Zak.

"JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, BITCH-" Zak jumped. "Oh. Hi Bad."

Darryl glared at him. "Language. What are you two talking about?"

"About how gay Zak is-"

"ABOUT THE DANCE." Zak cut in.

Amelia smirked, seeing Zak almost as red as the roses in Hannah's hair. "Zak has something to ask you."

Darryl turned to Zak in surprise and query. Zak, however, turned to Amelia, teeth gritted. Reluctantly, he said, "Mhm. I wanted to ask you if... you wanted to go... out for ice cream later!"

"Geppy, it's February."

Zak's right eye twitched, him still staring at Amelia on-edge and angry. "Ice cream's good in any weather."