Crystalwood School 2

The opening ceremony was being held in one of there larger training grounds that had seating for spectators. Though the number of people spectating was limited to those who are given the privilege of recommending someone which amounted to less than 50 people.

The king was in the VIP section accompanied by mom and dad while the rest of the of the recommendation holders where in the rows underneath it.

The candidates for the exam where led to stand in the field which had a stage set-up with a number of large floating speakers around it.

The prince, princess and I were led to the area closest to the stage where around 50 chairs had been arranged presumably for the recommended candidates. When we got there the seats reserved for us where in the front row where the highest ranked in nobility were seated.

Charlotte had sat in the very center on the row with Arnold to her right and me to her left. The row had received the most attention as it had a very impressive line up of nobles and royals.

Not long after we had seated down the speakers begun to play the sound of trumpets and a group of ladies and gentlemen walked in wearing black robes with Different coloured stripes on them, most of which were clearly indicating a magic affinity with a few that were not recognisable.

They had gone up the stage and lined up behind the podium that was on it. Soon after an elderly man with an impressive white beard in a red robe with gold embroidery followed by a man and woman in silver robes with gold embroidery walked up the stage to the podium. The man and woman in silver stood slightly behind as the old man was at the podium.

After brief silence...

"Firstly allow me to thank our very own king Julian Aldrich Lynthius for gracing us with his presence." He says and gives a slight bow to the king who raises his hand in acknowledgement.

"Secondly his company, Honourary Duke Thomas Gabriel Williams and Crystalwood schools very own Honourary-Duchess Grandine Nebula Balthazar." He says and bow parties bow to each other.

"And now I welcome all recommendation holders and exam candidates, my name is Severus Maldue Gwydion behind me are the esteemed staff of this academic institution. It is my honour to stand before you all as the 38th headmaster of the Crystalwood First Foundation School's 124th entrance examination. On this day all candidates will be given their fair chance to show us why they deserve a place in this great institution. Regardless of whether you are a recommended candidate or not. This school is meritocratic therefore only those that show results will proceed. That being the case let me ask the candidates a question." He says looking around at the populous.

"Why are ordinary candidates being made to stand behind the recommended candidates if this school only follows merit?"

All the candidates, ordinary and recommendation, begin to talk amongst themselves to try and find an answer to the question.

"This is the last day that your background will influence your position in here. Ordinary candidates, go ahead and show us your skill and ability which is You value and worth. Fight to get to the top and see for yourself what it means to be the most influential and powerful. Recommended candidates, you all have been supported by your backgrounds to get the seats you have been given. Now is the time for you to fight for what's yours and not let yourselves be left trailing behind. This exam is your first chance at the top class programmes and facilities that's guarantee your futures regardless of what you wish to do after graduation in 6 years. Of the over 10000 candidates here only the top 1000 will qualify as first year students."

Murmurs can be heard all around as candidates begin to panic at the less than 10% admission of candidates that the headmaster just spoke of.

"This method is our way of ensuring only the best of the best out of all candidates are selected. All admitted candidates will receive all necessities required during their term in the school. The school has a year ranking system and all students will be ranked accordingly. The better the rank the better the rewards and resources available, so make sure you do your best to find yourself in the top 1000. Now shall we have all ordinary candidates move towards the gate where you will be given numbers for your test number and location. We have 11 locations set for this exam all recommended candidates will remain and have the exam here as the the first location. Soon the assigned staff will bring all necessary testing equipment after the other candidates leave. Thank you all for coming here today, this is were I take my leave."

After Headmaster Gwydion leaves with his two followers the black robed men and women step forward and begin leading the ordinary candidates out.

A short while later the field is cleared of all ordinary candidates and most of the black robed leaving only 3.

To my great suprise uncle Craig shows up out of nowhere and takes centre stage at the podium.

"Hello everyone, I am Craig Greenwood forgive my poor etiquette but I'm going straight to point." He says as he drops a small black box to his side which transforms into a mana testing machine upon touching the ground.

"The spectators today are only staying for the mana test so let's make it quick and give them a good show. Starting with that girl at the back to the princess here let's walk up to the stage and run the test."

The girl in the back shyly walks up to the stage and runs her mama through the machine.

~110290
~121040

The the next girl follows and so on..

~112600

~134440

...

Finally it's the ducal house girl who sat next to Arnold's turn. She walked up very proudly and run the test.

~620240

Cheers and murmurs came profusely from the recommendation candidates and holders as they were in shock of the outstanding quantity.

"What so great about that?" I asked Charlotte.

"What do you mean? You don't know? Have you studied magic before?"

"Of course I did I just want to know why everyone is making such a fuss over that."

"Since I'm so great I'll tell you. Humans generally don't go over 150000, Elves  usually don't go over 600000, dwarves don't go over 250000, Angels and Demons don't go over 800000 while beastkin Don't go over 50000 ,which is the main reason they didn't become a major power, something you'll probably learn about history classes on the beast wars."

"You're quite knowledgeable."

"But of course, now let me finish. The highest magic capable race is the dragons whose magic capacity is around 900000. Then the most important part of all this is Woods Theory of racial limitations. Sir Craig Greenwood around 15 years ago came up with the theory that stated that each race had a point at which their capacity would not exceed. Only 5% of a given race's population exceed the limit within a range of 50000 and less than 0.1% exceed 50000 which was only seen in demi humans. Then as someone having such a high capacity she must be an elf or atleast a half elf."

"So they're excited because she is over 600000?"

"Yes now go quickly it's your turn."

I step upt o the machine and place my hand on it giving a worried look to uncle Craig.

"Don't worry, this one won't blow up its twice as big as the last one."

With full strength I run the test...

*************
Happy new year 🥳

Hope y'all enjoyed the festive season...

More chapters coming soon