Prologue

Croesus, The King of Lydia, who known for his wealth

~Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Adam Florenz's POV

It has been two weeks since the release of one Ms. Camila Almada and I don't hear anything from Nicolas or Alicia. I think they all have been dead because Nicolas, not in his right mind, was thinking of marrying Ms. Camila.

I thought I have to stop them before they took their vows.

But unfortunately for me, I was stuck here, at my desk, in my office in Portugal because my captain was not happy with my performance right now.

"Florenz!" Someone shouted my name as I was looking at them from my cubicle. It was the captain and she asked me to get inside her office now. I sighed before I abandoned my report about Ms. Camila Almada.

"Tough luck, Florenz," my partner said as I passed him. I kicked his chair before he stumbled back. I tried to hide my smile before I knocked on the captain's door.

"Come in," her voice was booming in the silence as she was reading something from the files that she was holding. She looked up and she saw me before she dumped the file onto her desk.

"Close the door," she said as she was looking at me. I obliged before I closed it and I went to stand in front of her. She did not instruct me to sit down so I was standing in front of her.

"Sit," she said. I did and she showed me the files in front of me.

"Do you know who this is?" She asked me as she looked at me. I took a look at the picture and instant recognition was coming to my face. I nodded at her.

"What's her name?" She asked.

"Lucia. Lucia Ricci, I think she was one of the mental hospital residents but got away during the raid recently," I said as I looked at my captain who was looking outside her window.

"My resources said that she was in the States and the board wants you to take on the case," she said as she turned to look at me. I arched my eyebrows at her.

"Me, ma'am?" I asked her as she nodded at me.

"Yes, I think you were the best choice for this mission," she said as she took her seat before she signed something on the paper before handing it to me. I took it and when I read it, I was speechless.

"America, ma'am? But I have never been out of Europe before. Surely there is someone capable of English than I am," I said as I looked at her. She smirked as she leaned in her chair.

"Oh, come on. Everyone knows that you wanted to get out there since you were failed with Ms. Camila Almada. I must say, she was one tough cookie to get through," she said as she was rubbing her temple. I was looking at her before she turned to look at me.

"What are you waiting for? Start packing!" She said as she shooed me from her office. I dipped my head at her as I looked at the transfer paper that I was holding.

Seattle, Washington. Now, why was that place sounded familiar?

"Ola, Florenz, what took you so long?" My partner asked me but I was ignoring him, as usual. I went to my cubicle and I looked at my report. I was halfway done with it and all the bullshit that I was putting into writing was not relevant anymore. I will be going out of Europe and I'm for one was excited to go.

I went to pack my things as I knew that this mission will be long and it will be heavy. I have to make sure that everything was idle when I get back and no one will touch my stuff. So I did what most people wouldn't.

I put my stuff in a drawer and I locked it.

Simple.

I nodded in approval before I went to take my papers and my stuff as I will be going home for the day. I have so many things to work out right now.

"Hey, Adam, can you hear me? We're going out, care to join us?" My partner called after me but I shook my head no. I was walking out of the office as I was walking to my car and I hoped that my parents would be thrilled about this promotion.

And of course, they were because it was their idea in the first place to transfer me to America.

"Wait, what do you mean I was betrothed?" I asked my dad as we were sitting for dinner. My mother and sister, Aurora, a pilot, were passing out the dinner around the table.

"Okay, I know that you were still young and wanted to make the most of your bachelor life but you need to think about the future, son," my father said in his baritone voice as he was scooping some of the salads. My mum made a smashing salad by the way.

"Yes, dear. It was nice to see the young one when you were getting married later this month," my mum added.

"Wait, this month? And you just tell me this?!" I asked them as they were smiling sweetly at me. Aurora snickered at me.

"Well, don't worry brother, I'm sure your bride will be blushing when she sees you at the end of the altar," my sister added the fuel to the fire.

"Ugh, you are such an—"

"Children, hands," my mother said before Aurora was sticking her tongue at me. I gritted my teeth before my father cleared his throat for warning.

"Dear lord. Thank you for the meal that you have given us on the table and shelter for the night, we are thankful for this and what will come, Amen," my father said the prayer.

"Amen," we all chided in before we continued our dinner.

I was engaged and I just know about it. I will be married this month and I just know about it. I hope my fiancée will do better than me.

Fauna Kent's POV

No. No. No!

This cannot be happening right now! Why, oh why, you have to be difficult now, sister?!

"Fauna, is your sister in there?" My mother asked me as she was outside our room. I was just reading the note that she left when she had the nerve to take this step when it was her introduction to her fiancée's day!

"Yeah, just a minute, she was blushing hard mother," I lied as I was trying to come up with an excuse right now. It was Saturday morning and the Florenz has been here since yesterday. I don't think that I can come up with anything right now.

"Fauna?" My mother said as she was coming into the room. I was standing alone in the room as I was wearing my 'not so ladylike' clothing; combat boots, piercings, choker, denim jacket, and jeans. I was smiling at my mother.

"Where's Flora?" She asked as she was narrowing her eyes at me. I was stammering before I sighed and I was showing her the note. She took it and read it before she gasped as she looked at me.

"No, no, no! Florenz will be mad about this. Oh, what to do? What to do?" She said as she was pacing back and forth until she turned to look at me.

"Well, it must be done, no matter which daughter it was," she said as she was growing her backbone now. I know that I cannot talk her out of the idea that she was set her mind to right now.

"Fauna, you have to take her place then," my mother said as she went to drag me.

Well, fuck my life!