Chapter 23

Adam Florenz's POV

"Nice work, son," my Captain said before I went to put Fauna in the ambulance. We were out of the warehouse as red and blue lights were streaming all over the place. The men that were turning from monsters to humans were being interrogated and they were being injected with some shit that I don't want to know.

"Seriously, Adam, I can walk by myself," Fauna said as she was hanging to my neck with her delicate fingers. I don't want to risk it as I know how fragile she can be.

"Just stay still,"

"But I can walk,"

"Fauna," my tone was pleading and I think she stopped arguing after that. I walked her to the ambulance as I wanted the medics to take care of her.

"Seriously, I was not badly injured," she chided when one of the medics opened the hoodie and saw that she has been badly bruised. Blood boiled in my veins as I was gripping my hands into fists.

"Adam, please, it's nothing,"

"Nothing? Nothing?! No, Fauna, these," I said as I was pointing at the bruises that she had on her stomach, "are nothing to me. I should have killed that bitch," I said as I was running my fingers through my hair.

"Adam," Fauna said as she was putting her hands on my arms. I calmed for a bit. Keynote: a bit. I still want to kill that motherfucker of a mentally retarded bitch.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. I cannot protect you, Fauna, and the way I treated you after—" I stopped after she glared at me. I just remembered that there was an unwanted company with us.

"We talk about that later, after your examination," I said as I went to kiss her forehead and I let the medics deal with her. I went to captain and Danial as they were talking animatedly right now.

I wondered what they talked about.

Danial was the first to recognize that I was coming their way. He turned toward me with that stupid smirk on his face. I wanted to punch him right now because my Fauna was hurting.

Well, it was not exactly his fault.

"Well, look who's here. The man of the hour," he said as he patted my shoulder. I glared at him before I nodded at the captain.

"Captain," I said curtly.

"Well, Florenz, I must say, you have uncovered the most ridicule and complicated crime we ever encounter and with that, you can go back to Portugal if you wanted," he said as he was looking at the ambulance. My heart skipped a beat as I looked at Fauna who was wincing as the medics were applying medicine to her wound.

"Well, about that," I said as I was looking at him expectedly.

Fauna Kent's POV

It has been days since I got out of that warehouse and I was recovering in my parents' house. They were very strict that I will not work and also did not work from my bed. I needed to rest as they were afraid my bruises will get worse.

I got pampered and I was being watched over like a hawk. They will not let me out of their sight and the servants were always in and out of my room. Adam would occasionally come to visit and we talked.

Well, nothing in-depth such as how he would have to explain himself after leaving me when we made love. That part was still not covered.

"How are you feeling?" He asked as he put some fresh flowers beside the bed. He had bought me tulips and orchids as they were my favorite flowers. I always lighted up when I saw he was holding them. Today, he bought me tulips of various colors.