Chapter 3

Adam Florenz's POV

I winced as Fauna closed the door of her bedroom. I did not know that a woman has so much temper to herself. I think I would love to uncover that myself.

"So, you have taken a liking to my daughter?" Scott's voice was filling the hallway as I was turning around to look at him. He had his Scotch with him as he was eyeing me up and down. I straightened my backbone as I went to him.

"Yes, sir. I would love to get to know her better. Besides, I think she hates me and that is because she did not know me yet," I said as I was walking with him back to the painting room where my parents and her parents were talking to catch up. Scott patted on my shoulder.

"I just wanted to say that Fauna might be a wild child when she was growing up. She never had many friends in school and she just does her own thing. I think I can trust you to keep her safe," he said as he went inside the room. I blinked a few times as I was trying to digest the information that had just been given to me.

Wild child?

No friends?

Oh, I think I just found out Fauna's weaknesses. She was shutting everyone out because she never had anyone close before. From that night, I was determined to get into her personal life and maybe even more.

My thought was being interrupted by my phone. I looked at the number and grimaced. It was my captain's back in Portugal and I had to answer it because she never called me unless it was important.

"Florenz," I said in Portuguese. I might not be good at Italian but I could go by with Portuguese and Spanish as well as English.

"Listen, Florenz, there has been a chase in the city and I just got a hint it was that woman, Lucia Ricci. I need you to check it out because apparently, your new captain cannot contact you as you did not report yourself to him yet," she said as she was gritting her teeth. I bit my lower lips as I was trying to explain to her.

"Look, Cap—"

"No matter, it was still Sunday over there. So, maybe you did not go to the station just yet. Just get a look at that, please," she said as she was sighing.

"Okay, I'm on it," I said before I hung up the phone and I went to talk to my parents.

"Mum, Dad, I have to—"

"Oh, for god's sake, can you not think about work right now?!" My mum said in Portuguese but I can see that Kent was looking at us like we were in soap opera.

"Mum—"

"You know what, I don't care. You do what you want, Adam. Just be safe, okay?" She said as she went to take a seat. Stacy went to her side before I looked at my father.

"I'm sorry—"

"It's fine, son. It's your job. Just go," he said as he turned to look at Scott. He explained that I was an Interpol detective and Scott nodded at that.

"I will come back as soon as I can,"

"Don't bother, I will have my driver send them home," Scott said as he patted my back. I thanked him before I was running toward the front door. And frankly, I know where it was, considering that I don't even know where the bathroom was.

I got inside the car, my parents' anyway, it was a BMW R-i series and it was black. I cannot go to the crime in this, they will think I was a show-off but I don't have time to change it. I have to get there as soon as possible.

I started the car and sped off to the crime scene. It was a short ride but the traffic on Sunday night was killing me. I got there in 30 minutes at the latest before I went to the crime scene.