Chapter 2

Kara is slow to wake. She sighs heavily as her brain won't allow her to fall back under. She nuzzles into the warmth below her, trying to get impossibly closer to that intoxicating scent. Kara doesn't think too hard about it; she just allows herself to be comforted by it. Her hands lightly squeeze and release a few times, partly to fluff whatever she is laying on and partly because it's so soft.

Lena scrunches her nose in annoyance. Something is moving around, forcing her to wake up before she is ready. She lets out a huff of air as something presses into her hip. Her eyes flutter as she feels something warm and a little rough squeezing her thigh and waist. As the world slowly comes into focus, it takes her a few moments to remember where she is.

She looks down and sees Kara cuddled up into her stomach. Her nose is smashed where her leg and torso meet. The blonde is subconsciously playing with her silk blouse and the other found its way to her thigh just under the hemline of her pencil skirt. Lena can't suppress the tiny smile on her face as she starts to play with those golden tresses that her hand rests upon.

Kara lets out a little whimper and turns her head into the scratching sensation, wanting more. She hums contentedly as she wiggles into a more comfortable position. She feels her pillow moving beneath her. A pronounced crinkle shows on her forehead. She grunts in frustration, which seems to get the pillow to stop moving. She relaxes down again and quickly falls back asleep.

Lena tries to stretch her legs out as much as she can but quickly stops when Kara starts to groan in complaint. The doctor feels such an immense joy in her chest that it startles her. Lena hardly knows this woman. She doesn't understand how after just meeting earlier, she finds herself cuddling with her in her home. Lena doesn't buy into love at first sight. Logically, she knows her brain is being flooded with happy chemicals like dopamine and serotonin causing this reaction, but it still feels so intense. It feels more than just her crushes on attractive people.

The doctor is unwilling to wake the woman up, and at the same time, she's getting overwhelmed by her own feelings. She grabs her phone to distract herself by reviewing articles she has been meaning to get to. While one hand scrolls, her other continues to scratch Kara's scalp comfortingly. Lena doesn't realize how much time has passed. She is totally engrossed in the latest article, making mental notes on the potential applications for polyatomic anions and quantum entanglement could develop better technology for medicinal purposes.

Kara slowly stirs again. This time, she feels better rested and opens her eyes with heavy blinks. It takes a few moments before she realizes that she's laying on top of someone. She looks up and holds her breath. There is that gorgeous doctor with her hair slightly mussed and brows pinched in concentration. That puffy bottom lip is trapped by pearly white teeth. Green eyes flitting back and forth, reading from her phone. Kara practically purrs when Lena scratches just the right spot.

Lena is so hyper-focused, she doesn't realize that Kara is awake. She just keeps reading and scratching away. Kara enjoys the few private moments to herself. She subconsciously runs her thumb back and forth. Lena shivers as she notices gentle rubbing on her inner thigh. She looks down. Green eyes lock onto blue. The doctor's face relaxes into a loving smile at the sleepy looking Kara in her lap.

"Hey," Kara whispers.

"Hi," Lena whispers back.

"How long have you been up?"

Lena furrows her brows as she looks around for a clock. She notices that it's already dark outside.

"I guess I've been up for a while."

Kara's eyes bulge. "Why didn't you wake me?"

Lena casually shrugs a shoulder. "It seemed like you needed some rest. And I could read articles just fine."