Chapter 10

The next day comes quickly. Alex fidgets with her hands and short hair as she and her sister wait at the hostess stand. Kara rolls her eyes at her sister's antics. Kara is bouncing lightly on the balls of her feet, anxious to see the doctor again. She wants to ensure that she is alright, but she also wants to make sure that they were alright.

"Ms. Danvers!" Eve says cheerily.

"Eve, hi! Please, it's Kara. How are you?" Kara responds in kind.

"I'm doing well, thanks! Come along. Lena is already settled this way." Eve motions for the women to follow her with a bright smile.

Alex and Kara share a brief look as they follow the shorter blonde through the restaurant towards the back. Alex bites her nails nervously as Kara eagerly looks for Lena. But actually, she locks eyes with Sam first. She can barely see the crown of the inky black hair of the woman she really wants to lay eyes on.

"Kara!" Sam exclaims. Her eyes flicker to her best friend to check in. She doesn't miss that Lena's shoulders tense at the announcement of their arrival. Sam does her best to give her a reassuring look before redirecting her attention back to the blonde.

Kara smiles at her with a brief look of pure anxiety crossing her face. She totally panicking about how this will go, but she knows they need to do this. "Sam, hi!"

Sam stands up from the booth as the two women approach. Sam's face suddenly turns serious as she sees the shorter Danvers. Sam stands between them and Lena with her arms crossed as she stares the woman down. "And you must be the infamous Alex Danvers. FBI agent, most recently posted in Metropolis, graduated at the top of your class at Quantico four years ago."

Alex blushes furiously while Kara gawks at Sam's audacity with an amused smirk. Alex stutters, "H-how did you know that?"

Sam smirks slyly to Eve. "Oh, I have my ways."

"Well, nice to meet you. I- I think. I assume you must be Sam."

"Your FBI powers are bone chilling," Sam quips sarcastically.

Eve interrupts the showdown, "Can I get you ladies anything to start with?"

This time Lena responds. "Eve, I think we could do with a bottle of red. I think we are going to need it."

Kara finally locks eyes with Lena. A tentative smile crosses her face. "Lee... hi."

"Hi, Kar," Lena replies just as softly. Her shoulders lose a bit of their tension.

Alex just shuffles around awkwardly as Eve moves off to get their drinks and Sam continues to stare her down. Everything is confusing and concerning. She isn't quite sure how to handle any of it with Sam towering above her and blocking them from the table.

Lena leans forward from her seat. "Sammy... let them take a seat."

"Right, of course, Lee." Sam immediately brightens and steps out of the way for Kara and Alex to scooch into the opposite side of the booth. "I'll be right out with your food."

Kara is quick to interject before the chef can walk out. "Sam, can you ma-"

"Potstickers? All over it, honey," Sam says with a wink and a reassuring pat on her shoulder.

Lena smiles at the puppy dog reaction Kara has to the news that she is getting more of those dumplings. Green eyes take in the little crinkles around those blue eyes and pearly, white teeth on display. The doctor doesn't even realize that Alex is studying her, scrutinizing every detail of body language. If she had, Lena probably would have made sure to disguise her feelings a bit more.