Chapter 17

Kara and Lena are shooting back shots as they just lost to Sam and Alex. Kara's giggling like a mad woman, and Lena is feeling a buzz set in. Alex and Sam are naturally rubbing in their victory. So, when Lena hears the elevator ding to announce it's ascent, she slips into her apartment to welcome the guests without interrupting the relaxed atmosphere on the balcony.

"Holy shit," a voice mumbles in awe.

Lena smirks as she watches a short man slowly step out of the elevator, looking all around the apartment. She watches just for a few moments before announcing her presence with a soft, "Welcome."

He visibly startles. "Holy shit! Y-you're Dr. Kieran!"

Lena laughs lightly. "It'll just be Lena for the night. It's nice to meet you. You must be Winn."

"And you know who I am?!" Winn practically screeches.

Kara wanders in and brightens when she lays eyes on him. "Winn!"

"Why does Dr. Kieran know who I am?"

"Because I told her about you, duh!" Kara crosses the room and wraps him up in a big hug.

"And you are already drunk. Shame on you, Kar," Winn jokes.

"It's Alex's fault. And- and Lena's! She is not good at drinking games."

Lena scoffs in fake scorn. "Um, pardon me, but you are the one that missed the last round."

"I can't believe I'm in Dr. Kieran's place right now."

"Winn, I am going to have to insist that you call me Lena."

"S-sure... I- I'll do my best!"

Lena rolls her eyes. She has a feeling it's going to be like getting Kara to stop apologizing. "Well, since we all have a head start, can I offer you something to drink?"

"Lee, you aren't playing bartender. Game nights is a serve yourself affair," Alex corrects as she and Sam come in side.

"Alex!" Winn exclaims.

"Winn, buddy! How've you been?"

Winn and Alex move together so they can hug in greeting. As soon as they separate and finish catching up, Lena is quick to introduce Sam. They all pour themselves some drinks to mingle and chat as they wait for the other guests to arrive. During a lull in their conversations, Winn pulls Kara to the side.

"I'm glad to have you back at game night. We've missed you."

Kara gives him a sad smile. "Thank you. I've missed you guys, too."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not right now. I'm kinda waiting for everyone to get here first. H- have you heard from Nia?"

Winn shakes his head with a tight smile. "No. I haven't. I texted her earlier but didn't get a response."

Before they can continue their conversation, the elevator gets called back down to the lobby. There's a moment of tense silence as they watch stop at the main floor before starting it's return journey. Lena makes sure to come over to Kara's side. She slips her hand in Kara's and squeezes it lightly, silently giving her support. Winn notices this but decides not to comment on it.

"Damn."

"Am I going to get that reaction with all your friends?" Lena asks quietly.

Kara just smiles and nods in response.

"Kara! Alex! Winn!"

"Hey, James!"

"Jimmy!"

"How was your Metropolis assignment?" Winn asks.