Epilogue

It is several months into their very healthy and happy relationship when Lena notices that Kara's not eating as much as usual. She tries to keep her fears in check, but then she notices Kara napping more, having a harder time waking up. The first straw was when Kara complained about some discomfort in her stomach.

"Would you come to my lab with me today?" Lena asks softly over dinner.

Kara is just pushing food around her plate. She gives her girlfriend a confused look. "I mean... sure? Is their a reason?"

"I- I just." Lena wipes her mouth. "I just want to run some tests."

"I just had my check up a few months ago."

"You're eating less. You're tired. You have abdominal pain. I- I just want to be sure."

"Lee..."

"Please." Lena doesn't care how desperate she sounds.

"Of course." Kara reaches across the table to take one of Lena's trembling hands in her own. "I think I'm just coming down with a stomach bug or a cold or something."

"I'm sure that's what it is, but it would just make me feel better to do some tests."

"Okay."

Lena barely sleeps that night. She spends most of it listening to Kara's breathing and watching her sleep. She knows the check ups are there for a reason, but she knows she would feel terrible if they didn't catch the signs of the cancer returning the moment it's back. She needs to take care of her.

The first thing the next morning, Lena drives them both to her private lab. She takes some blood and preforms her own physical. Kara sits with her as they wait for the machines to finish up the tests.

"You're right, darling. You are showing slightly elevated white blood counts with no evidence of cancerous cells. You probably just have a bug. I'm sorry for wasting your time and worrying you."

"Hey, hey. Come here." Kara holds her arms open to hug the woman. "You never have to apologize for taking care of me or worrying about me. I love you so much."

"I love you, too."

"Let's both take the day off. Sounds like I'm about to get sick, and I may need you to play nurse for me."

Both women call in and head home. They cuddle on the couch. It's about ten hours later that Kara starting vomiting and breaking out in sweats. Lena stays with her every step of the way: running a cold bath, holding her hair back, rubbing her upset stomach.

"You should be staying away," Kara says weakly. "I'm going to give you this."

"I probably already got it before you actually got sick, darling. And even if I didn't, it would take armies to keep me from taking care of you."

Kara lips twitch into a smile before she pukes some more. Lena stays up all night listening Kara's breathing and watching her sleep. The blonde woke up a few times during the night with intense nausea, and Lena was right there to provide comfort. She scratches Kara's scalp just the way she likes and holds her close.

While Kara feels absolutely terrible physically, Lena feels terrible that Kara's feeling so awful. She wishes that she could take away her pain. She hums some tunes to hopefully distract the woman she loves from all the discomfort and pain she is feeling.

"Darling, you need to get some fluids in you. Think you can drink some water or a sports drink or something?"

"I- I can try."

"Alright. Just stay put. I'll go grab one from the fridge."

Kara nods. She holds back a whimper of losing the comfort of being in her girlfriend's arms. It doesn't take long at all for Lena to return. She cracks open a drink full of electrolytes and calories. She helps Kara sit up.