Chapter 9

Lena locks her screen and slips the phone in her back pocket. She lets out a deep breath as she makes eye contact with a smug looking Samantha Arias. She squints her eyes suspiciously at her best friend. "What?"

"What did you say?" Sam has a playful glint in her eye.

"I did not tell her that 'I want to bone her.'" Lena rolls her eyes. "It's none of your business what I texted."

"Ah, come on. You are no fun, Lee."

"It's between me and Kara."

"Can't I be between you and Kara?" Sam says flirtingly with a smirk.

Lena sighs and shakes her head in amusement. "Why are you so incorrigible today?"

"Because it is so much fun to rile you up. Also, this is the most I've seen you in a very long time. I've missed you, and she's the only reason I've seen you so much."

Lena can hear the vulnerable tone in her best friend's voice. Her shoulders slump at the admission. "I'm so sorry, Sammy. I've just been so wrapped up in the trials. I've missed you, too, even if I haven't been great at showing it lately."

"Sweetie, I didn't say that to guilt you. I was just simply stating a fact and answering your question." Sam rushes Lena into a tight hug. "I'm always here for you. You know that, right?"

Lena can hear the wobbling in Sam's voice get more distinct. "I know, just as I am here for you."

"No more frantic calls from hot blondes?"

Lena rolls her eyes good naturedly, even though Sam can't see it. "No more frantic calls from Kara."

They break from their embrace, and as they part, Sam sneaks a kiss on Lena's cheek. Lena playfully slaps her best friend in return. Sam slips past Lena and eyes the state of the living room. There are stacks and stacks of paperwork laying all over the coffee table. "Is it alright if we shred all of this? No need for you to sign away your life anymore."

The doctor sighs heavily as she looks over the chaos. She isn't quite sure what she is feeling about this. Sure, Alex signed the NDA, but that doesn't mean someone won't find out eventually. She toys with the thought of keeping all of this locked away until she needs it (undoubtedly) again. She bites her lip and pinches her brows in concentration, trying to work out where she could store all the information without risk of someone finding it.

"I know that look, Lee. You are not keeping all of this. Even if your last name came out, I don't think you understand how much you've changed the public's opinion as Lena Kieran. You could probably even tell them the truth of what happened." Sam watches as Lena opens her mouth to feed her the usual story. Sam just raises her hand up and interrupts her before she can begin, "And yes, I know that you played more of a part in all of this than you've told me. I'm not an idiot, Lee."

"Sammy..." Lena's always been very vague when talking about turning her brother in with everyone, including Sam. Her best friend knew more than most, but Lena never told her the full story, regardless of the NDA she signed for the U.S. Government.

"Don't feed me the same bullshit." Sam takes a deep breath and changes the subject back to what matters, "Now, we are either burning or shredding. Actually skip the shredding idea; burning sounds more more cathartic. We will have a giant bonfire with all of this. I'll bring the marshmallows."

Lena gazes at the pure confidence and determination on the chef's face. She nearly whispers, "Why are you always so sure?"

"The same reason you were so sure that I could open my own restaurant and be successful. I believe in you." The women smile sadly at each other. They have known and seen each other on their worst days, and they love each other for it.