Chapter 2: The Party

Soon after the girls ate, people started filling into the house. Topper comes in with a couple of packs of beer and sets them on the table. Tayla looks at the beer and touches Wheezie's shoulder "Come on Wheeze, let's go watch something in your room".

Topper looks over at Tayla "You missing out on the fun?", Rafe walks in and scoffs "Tayla and fun are not even in the same stratosphere".

She walks over with Wheezie and passes Rafe, she talks enough for him and Topper to hear "Not all of us can be as irresponsible as you, unlike you I prioritize your sister's innocence over getting wasted".

As Tayla walks away to the upstairs portion of the house, Rafe looks down while Topper laughs in his face "She told you".

Sarah finishes the dishes and hugs Topper from behind "As much as I would love to see you two do something stupid, I should probably stay in Tayla's good graces". 

Topper pouts and turns around to kiss the top of her head "You sure?", she nods.

"Bold of you to assume I even invited you" Rafe mumbles loud enough for Sarah to hear. 

Before Topper could say anything, Sarah blurts out "Bold of you to assume I give a fuck about what you want".

Before Sarah goes to the two other girls she kisses Topper's cheek and flips off Rafe. Topper chuckles "These girls really know how to run you over, huh". 

He looks over at Rafe rolling his eyes "Whatever".

Rafe usually held his tongue whenever Sarah would make a snide remark, mostly because he knew it would get back to their dad. When it came to Tayla, he couldn't bring himself to say anything that would truly hurt the girl. There was a part of him that would not hesitate to hurt anyone who came after his family, and that included Tayla.

He rationalized it as Tayla was Sarah's best friend since anyone could remember, making him view her as a sister. Little did he know, that wasn't the reason.

A little over an hour later...

Tayla, Sarah, and Wheezie are cuddled up in blankets watching Enchanted as they all hear a booming bass that vibrates the floor. Sarah sits up "What the hell, is he trying to get the cops to show up?".

"I'll take care of it, you guys stay here" Tayla gets up and goes downstairs to find even more people than there were before. The music grew increasingly louder, the girl could feel the vibrations through her body. She walks through people, going into different rooms searching for Rafe until she finds a very drunk Kelce.

"Heyyyyy Tayyylaa, Rafe told me you look good tonight but damn" he slurs, putting his arm around her. The brunette furrows her brow in confusion at his words, thinking he's most likely too drunk to know what he's saying. He unknowingly puts most of his weight on her as he sways back and forth.

"Maybe you should get some water" she tries to push him off a little towards a seat. Kelce just laughs and says something that was most likely gibberish. 

Tayla looks over and sees Topper "Topper!" she waves him over.

Topper turns around and moves towards them, as he does Tayla sees what was behind him. There is a group of people all around a glass table passing money around. As she moves Kelce over to Topper, she looks closer and sees the white powder on the table.

"T-topper, what are you guys doing? Please tell me this isn't what I think it is" She almost feels herself tear up until she sees a familiar dirty blonde lift his head up from the table. Rafe. She felt her heart drop to her stomach for a moment as they made eye contact.

Hundred and twenty dollar bills were scattered on the table, it was hard to tell if they were used for purchasing the coke or snorting it

Hundred and twenty dollar bills were scattered on the table, it was hard to tell if they were used for purchasing the coke or snorting it. Girls were all over him but he was ignoring their inappropriate touching. The typical-looking frat boys cheered him on by patting him on the back and chanting his name as he snorted the substance.

Rafe's smile fades as he realizes who's looking at him "Tayla" he stands up with his fists pushing against his knees and walks over to her. 

As he gets up from the couch, the girls sitting next to him give the brunette a death glare. The more he tries to get closer, the more she backs away. Both Sarah and Tayla hated when he was under the influence, his attitude grew more hostile and he was much more likely to do something aggressive.

Topper puts Kelce on the couch "You really shouldn't be down here Tay" he says slightly shaking his head. 

She runs upstairs to the closest bathroom and locks the door, she felt tears fall from her eyes... why was she crying?

She looks in the mirror and thinks to herself as the door rattles from the other side. A raspy male voice is heard against the door "Tayla, open up please".