Chapter 9: The Picnic

Next Day...

Ever since she got home last night Tayla stayed in her bed thinking about everything Rafe, his dad, the cocaine, his anger. The concealed love that she felt for him could never go away and most definitely would not go away overnight. She could find positive in even the most fucked up parts of Rafe.

There was no way in her mind that anyone could make her feel the way that Rafe did. She knew the potential of their relationship could be strong. The only real problem was having confidence in the stability of their relationship.

As she laid in bed, Tayla heard the doorbell ring. Groaning loudly, she gets up and goes to the door. The door opens to Sarah. The Cameron girl looks at her best friend with her robe on and mascara smeared under her eyes. Sarah couldn't help but just hug her tight, she knew her and how much she was hurting.

Tayla just cried in her arms for a while, they both needed this moment. Sarah pulls away and wipes her tears "Get ready because I'm going to take you out". 

She sniffles "Out?". 

The blonde girl laughs "Yes. Out. I'm taking you out for a picnic to get your mind off things".

She sighs and moves out of the way for Sarah to come in. By force, Tayla takes a shower and gets ready with the help of her best friend. Looking at herself in the mirror, put together, she felt a lot better. "Thank you Sarah, I didn't know I needed this" Tayla smiles.

"You look amazing Tay, it's crazy what a shower can do huh" Sarah laughs at her own words

"You look amazing Tay, it's crazy what a shower can do huh" Sarah laughs at her own words. Tayla giggles with her and sprays her favorite perfume on. She was still upset inside about everything but she did feel exceptionally better than before.

As the two girls get out of the car, Sarah stops them from walking toward the beach. "So I may have stretched the truth a little" Sarah looks at Tayla holding her by the arms. 

"What do you mean?" Tayla was scared of whatever the girl was going to say next.

"I did tell the truth when I said we were having a picnic..." she paused for a moment, probably because she was scared of Tayla's reaction to what she was going to say next. 

"But I lied about how it was going to be with me"

"What?!" Sarah expected this reaction and already thought over her next words to calm her down. 

"Rafe told me about you two and as much as I was kind of hurt, I knew you both didn't mean to hurt me. He was desperate enough to come to me because he knew that my help was the only way you would possibly forgive him".

Tayla shakes her head and laughs over the stupid boy she fell in love with. "Where is he?" she turns her head, searching for him. 

"I'll take you" Sarah takes her hand and leads her to the romantic picnic further down the beach.

As they walk down, she locks eyes with Rafe. He smiles when he spots her, hugging her tightly when they arrive. Yes, she was still mad at the boy but she missed being in his arms so much. She embraced his hug as Sarah rubs her back and walks off.

The two pull away from the hug and just look at each other. "Tayla I want you to know that I have suffered almost two weeks without you and I know that is one hundred percent my fault. I took my Dad's wants more seriously than yours when you are the one that has always supported me no matter what. I was always told to 'man up' whenever I was feeling overwhelmed but you have never done that. I thought I was going to crumble under the pressure and the intrusive thoughts creeping in my head but when you're in my life it all disappears".

"I want you to know that you are my first choice and I finally have my priorities figured out. No amount of substance can make me feel the way you do. I know this picnic is nothing crazy but I wanted to set this up for you to show you how much... I love you".

Tayla tears up, blinking back her tears "I love you too, and even if you didn't have everything figured out yet I would still stick by you". She takes his hands in hers, both of them genuinely smiling with tears in their eyes.

"I know with every fiber in my being that you would stick by me through thick and thin and I want you to have the same confidence in me... so I got you something to hold my promise to stick by you and love you forever"

She looks at the boy in front of her, taking something out of his jacket pocket "This is a reminder of that promise" he opens the jewelry box to show a promise ring.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"