Chapter 3: The Swing

Tayla turns her head to the door "I really don't think I can talk to you right now Rafe" she sniffles and takes a piece of toilet paper to wipe her tears. 

Rafe listens from the other side, hearing her cry "Look... I'm sorry okay? I just wanted to take the edge off, I didn't mean for you to see that".

Of course, she knew about his... reckless tendencies but to see it was a different experience. If Tayla was being honest, she was scared for him, she didn't want that life for him. She was one of the only people who really saw his true potential and Rafe knew that.

She scoffs "Yeah no shit Rafe, you can save your apology, don't worry I won't tell your dad". 

He sighs and rests his head against the door "I- I just...hated to see the way you looked at me, I am sorry Tayla". He stands there for a minute and then walks back down to get everyone to leave.

A couple of minutes later...

Topper and Rafe are downstairs cleaning up the mess left from the party. They both look up when they hear steps coming down the stairs, Rafe looked up quicker expecting someone but instead, he saw Sarah. 

"What the hell did you guys do?" Sarah was visually upset, with her crossed arms she went to the bottom of the stairs.

Topper frowned "Babe, I'm sorry, we are cleaning it all up". 

She furrowed her brow, confused by her boyfriend's words "What? I don't care about that! I'm talking about my best friend crying and she won't tell me why".

Rafe sighed "She saw us messing with coke and got upset". 

Sarah shakes her head "Well fucking fix it because now she's packing up to go back home". There was nothing wrong with Tayla's house but both she and Sarah always spent every chance they got to be together.

In Sarah's room, Tayla took some of her clothes from her drawer and put them in a duffle bag. She walks through the house and outside to her Jeep. Putting her duffle bag in the back of the car she hears footsteps coming toward her. "Please don't leave because of me, I'm not worth all of this".

She turns around to see Rafe only a few inches from her "I need to go Rafe". 

She looks into his sapphire eyes "I'll be back but I just need time to think, I know you think I don't care about your wellbeing but-" she shakes her head, not knowing how to finish the sentence. 

He looks down at his feet in disappointment with himself "I know that scared you and I'm sorry it did, okay?"

Tayla sniffles "I need to go, please just don't do that again". He nods his head as she gets into the driver's seat of the jeep. Rafe watches as the car drives further and further away.

A week later at the Country Club...

Sarah and Tayla decided to put on their matching tennis skirts and go to the Kookiest place you can go, the country club. They played for a while until they started to get thirsty, walking to the cafe portion of the club they run into Topper and Kelce.

Tayla politely smiles at them "Feeling better, Kelce?" both her and Topper lightly chuckle. 

"Yeah... about that... I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable" Kelce looks apologetically at her. 

Tayla pats his shoulder "Don't worry about it" she awkwardly clears her throat and turns to the bar "I'm gonna go get a drink".

Sarah and Topper laugh a little and walk towards the golf course with Kelce. "Is it okay if Rafe comes after his workout?" Topper says as he shuts his phone off after checking a text probably from Rafe. 

Sarah looks over at Tayla ordering at the bar "Ummm... I don't know if that's the best idea".

A moment later Tayla walks back sipping on her drink as Kelce goes up for his turn to swing. "Sooooo you know how you're the best person in the world" Sarah leans on Tayla and scrunches her nose. 

Tayla looks down at her "Oh my god, what did you do?". 

Topper chuckles as Sarah drops her jaw dramatically "Uh- what makes you think I- Okay fine, Rafe is coming in a little bit please don't be mad".

Thinking to herself, Tayla decides to be mature "That's fine" she says with a nonchalant shrug. 

Sarah and Topper look at each other with surprised faces but do not dare say anything else. Kelce walks back "Your turn Top".

Just as it's Tayla's turn to swing, Rafe joins the group. As he walks over, he can't help but look over at her, the way that skirt fits her just makes him feel something in his stomach. He would never admit it but he was definitely attracted to the girl.

Tayla sees him in her peripheral view, she moves her waist a bit to get into a more comfortable stance and swings with all the emotion she had been feeling the past couple of days. As she hit the ball it was almost as if the weight was lifted off her and she could breathe.

Rafe couldn't help but notice the swaying of her hips, yes Tayla and Sarah were wearing the same skirt but Tayla just wore it differently. The way the white fabric complimented her glistening, tan skin drove him crazy. After the swing, she confidently walks back "Oh hey Rafe" pretending as if she didn't know he was there.

The other three in the group just looked between the both of them. "Hey... that's a lot of confidence for someone who doesn't know how to play" Rafe snickers. 

Tayla sits down in her chair with her arms crossed "Paying extra attention to my playing now?". Sarah accidentally lets out a really loud laugh and Rafe glares at her.

A couple of turns later, Tayla walks up for her turn. Just as she was about to swing, Rafe interrupts "No no no no, that's all wrong". 

"I'm sorry since when are you the master of golf?".

He stands up from his seat as Tayla turns towards him "I've always been the master" he smirks.

As she rolls her eyes, Rafe walks over to her "You wanna learn the right way?". 

"You'll never let me live this down if I don't so let's just get it over with". Rafe chuckles and holds her waist firmly to fix her posture, then puts his hands on top of Tayla's against the golf club. She could smell his expensive cologne and feel his warmth against her back.

Tayla would never admit it but she liked it, the way she felt so comfortable with him so close. It almost pushed her over the edge when she felt his breath against her neck. She made the decision to back into Rafe a little bit but made it seem not on purpose "Like this?".

Rafe tensed up a little bit and felt himself get a little too excited. He clears his throat and says "Yeah, like that" in a lower voice than before. 

His tone left goosebumps on Tayla's arms. He whispers in her ear "Swing" and she does as he says, it goes really far. Farther than either of them have hit before.

Topper and Kelce cheer while Sarah notices the weird energy between her best friend and brother.