Chapter 18

Jack's POV
After being with Alex the entire Saturday, my parents said they wanted me home for Sunday and that we'd be having a family dinner type thing tonight.
I didn't really mind that we were all eating together but I'm also really bad at talking with my family sometimes, like I'm bad at either contributing to some of them or I don't like the silence at the end of a topic and there's no new topic we can transfer into smoothly to avoid those silences, but segues are weird anyway. I'm currently sitting in my room trying to focus on reading the book our teacher gave us to read the rest of the quarter, and May walks in.
"Hey," I say noticing her presence.
"Hey," she says in return.
"What'd you come in for?" I wonder knowing she wouldn't come in my room without reason.
"Well since we're all eating together tonight, if you're comfortable with it, would you maybe consider coming out to mom and dad?" She asks.
I shrug and say, "I don't think this is the time for that. But maybe."
May accepts and exits my room. When the door closes I pull out my phone and text Alex.
May thinks I should come out to our parents tonight. What do you think?
His response is almost immediate.
If you think you're ready. Or you could wait a week or so and I could come over, or my mom and I both, and you could do the thing then.
I like that suggestion. If you two can come over for dinner sometime next week, that'd be cool. Unless anyone brings it up, that's probably the way I'll do it.
Cool, I think we can come over next weekend, either day, but I'll have to ask my mom later since she's having some alone time with that Andrew guy. They might work out.
Well that's good for your mom.
Our conversation kind of stops there and I go back to attempting to finish my reading even though I'm not remotely interested in the topic.
Around 5:40 mom calls me down for dinner and I notice I've progressed 100 pages in an hour and a half. I mark my place in the book, grab my phone, and exit my room. I take my seat at the table, next to May as usual, and since I'm the youngest wait to get my food.
Mom and dad talk about business stuff for a while while May looks at me out of the corner of her eye a little scarily.
"So Jack, we've noticed you've made a new friend and we'd both like to meet him and his family," mom says, breaking May away from her miniature stare down of me.
"Funny you bring that up now, he and his mom have been saying that they'd love to meet you guys too," I say trying to not make it blatantly obvious that Alex and I were just talking about this about two hours earlier.
"Well, if the next time you talk to him you could ask, next Saturday is good for us," she tells me.
"Alright, will do," I accept and we all continue with our dinner.
Alex's POV
While my mom and Andrew do whatever adults that are dating again for the first time in however long do, I decide to go out into the world again. I leave a note for the two, put my phone and wallet in my pockets, putting my earbuds in and my iPod on shuffle, then walking out the door.
I walk to a little park Tom would take me when I was younger. The park itself is old, but most of the play stuff that used to be there has been replaced with newer things that are deemed safer for today's children. Walking into the park I notice its relative emptiness, probably because it's near dinner time and it's been getting colder, making parents want to keep their children mostly inside unless they've been wrapped in more layers of clothing than a T-shirt and jeans. I see some other people about my age scattered throughout the area and wander over to a large tree near a pond where ducks usually inhabit during the warm months. I climb the tree to one of it's highest branches and listen to music while playing solitaire on my iPod.
After playing for thirty minutes and loosing a majority of the games, I get bored and notice that sitting in the tree for this long is making my ass go numb, so I decide to climb back down when I see a little being standing at the base of it. I look closer and notice that it's Rian, then wonder what he's doing here. I jump down after getting closer to the ground, managing to startle Rian with my very ungraceful landing.
"Hey Rian. What ya doing here?" I ask when I regain my balance.
"Just standing around, not doing much of anything really," he answers.
"Cool, how ya been?" I ask.
"I've been good. You?" He says.
"I've been good too," I say.
After a moment of silence Rian asks, "So what's up with you and Jack?"
"You know, we're good friends and stuff," I answer vaguely.
"Just good friends?"
"Yep."
My phone suddenly rings and I answer it, apologizing to Rian for interrupting the conversation.
"Hey," I say.
"Hey, where are you?" Jack asks.
"In a park with Rian," I answer.
"Oh cool," he says and his tone sounds suddenly sad.
"Are you upset that Rian's getting more of me time than you?" I ask playfully, getting a look from Rian.
"No, just a little jealous that I wasn't invited to get Rian and Alex time," he answers quickly.
I laugh and say, "Do you want to talk to him?"
"Yes," he says quietly.
I look at Rian and say, "Jacks jealous and wants to talk to you."
Rian nods and takes my phone. I begin to zone out as they talk to each other and think about what Monday will be like and if we'll tell Zack and Rian about the band thing.
"Alex," Rian says pulling me out of my thoughts.
I look a him and see he's handing me my phone. I take it back and we part ways having nothing else to talk about or do. I decide to text Jack and ask if we'll tell Zack and Rian about the band thing, and if we'll come out to them. He answers back shortly after saying that we can tell them about both things if I'd like to and I accept.
When I get back home my mom and Andrew are sitting in the living room area watching some movie. They turn their heads to me when I enter and mom asks, "How was your walk?"
"It was good," I answer.
"Where'd you go?"
"To the park a little ways from here that Tom used to take me to."
"Alright, dinner's in the kitchen. Help yourself," mom says.
I accept and go get my food. I go upstairs and watch YouTube while I eat. After I finish eating I go out my plate in the sink, and go back upstairs deciding I'll get an ok amount of sleep and send Jack a goodnight text before slowly drifting to sleep.
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
So that's the chapter, sorry I always take really long to update but I guess it's better late than never, right? Anyways I hope you all liked it and stuff and as always, see you in the next chapter.