4

"So why can't parabatais-" Alec was cut off by Thea, "right. Very few people know the reason why love between parabatai is forbidden, and records of it have either been lost, destroyed or hidden deep in the archives of the Silent City and the Spiral Labyrinth, shrouding the truth in secrecy." She paused before continuing, "true love between parabatai will strengthen their power to the point of magic."

"So, it makes them stronger."

"A Shadowhunter with magical abilities, like a warlock. The Clave finds that very... disturbing." Thea replied, "especially when warlocks are downworlders."

If you're a shadow agent, you are allowed to fall in love in your parabatai. The Shadow Agency was started by Diana Carson and Liam Silverstone, Thea's parents which is the reason why Thea was the leader.

"I'll go look for the grave." Thea said and walked away, leaving Alec standing there with several thoughts running in his head.

She was walking towards Clary when she heard Alec shouted from behind her, "Jace...over here!"

Jace then walked where Alec was and Thea approached Clary.

"Hey, you alright?" She questioned to which she redhead nodded with a smile, "I'm just... overwhelmed, you know? Like, this is a whole new world and I'm not supposed to be here and all. And on top of that my evil father has kidnapped my mother and I am the only one to know where the mortal cup is yet I do not. It kinda sucks."

"It does, doesn't it?" Thea chuckled, "I mean, I don't know what I would've done in your shoes. By the way, happy belated birthday, Clary."

The redhead chuckled before thanking her, "worst birthday ever."

"You're saying," Thea scoffed, "I never celebrated my birthday."

"What? Why not?"

"I was barely five when my parents died. I had nobody to wish me or even plan a birthday party for me." Thea explained, "I was raised by my mother's best friend who was nice to me until I turned fourteen. She then started showing me her bitchy side."

"So you have nobody?"

"I have a best friend, Ethan. He and I have always been there for each other. It's safe to say that he's the only good thing in my life."

"You love him?" Clary asked with a smirk making Thea laugh. Clary's smirk turned into a frown as she was confused. "What's so funny?"

"Oh my god-" Thea took a deep breath, "-Ethan is gay. I love him as a friend."

"Oh..." Clary muttered, embarrassed, "sorry." Her eyes then fell on a grave before she nudged Thea, "is that the grave we are looking for?"

"Yeah," Thea nodded, "good job."

"Jace! Alec!" Clary called out, "I think I found it! Mary Milligan!" Clary brushed some of the dirt off the headstone as Alec and Jace arrived.

"Beloved servant?" Clary asked, reading what was written in it, "Who wants that on a headstone?"

"Someone who is in service to a cause greater than themselves." Alec replied as Jace added, "at least she is now. Abracadabra."

"Wait, you people actually say that?" Clary asked making the three Shadowhunters look at her.

"No, Clary, we don't." Jace replied as he traced the angelic rune on the grave with his stele. Alec and Jace opened up the grave, revealing seraph blades and steles.

"Wow." Clary eyed the weapons, "Where's Mrs. Milligan?"

Clary picked up a blade making Alec frown, "Don't touch that. You don't know how to use it."

"What, like at Pandemonium when I killed that demon?" The redhead flattered herself making Alec clench his jaw, "You didn't kill-"

"Alec." Jace spoke, "I'm gonna show her the right way to use it. Do you see what you need in here?"

"No. There's no bow here. I need one. I have to rune some arrows. That's back at the Institute. I gotta go. What about you, Thea?"

Thea looked at the weapons before shaking her head, "no kindjals here."

"Well, how are you two gonna get back in the Institute?" Jace questioned.

"Go in the back." Alec replied, "Won't bother me if it's just Thea and I."

"Okay, good." Jace nodded, "Go. I can finish up here."

Alec hesitated and turned around back to Jace, "Hey... I understand what we need to do. And I trust you, parabatai, but don't even doubt me. No matter what I said."

"It's already forgotten." Jace assured as they do a handshake, "I'll see you at dawn."

"At dawn." Alec confirmed before nodding at Thea as the two walked away.