13

Magnus and the Shadowhunters walk in just in time to see Clary finishing the pentagram.

"Jocelyn was right, your artistry is beyond compare." Magnus admired Clary's work which made her blush and stood up, "I don't know about that."

"Oh, the only other person I've known who could draw as well was Michelangelo, who was excellent in bed, I might add." Magnus said, flattering Clary. "Okay. We're ready. Everyone take your rightful place on the pentagram. I'm afraid one of you have to sit this out."

"I will," Alec and Thea said at the same time before looking at each other.

"I will." Alec said in a more firm voice making Thea roll her eyes, "fine, dad."

"Okay. Althea, come and stand next to me." Magnus said as Thea did as she was told. Alec leaned against the wall behind them as he watched. Magnus was standing next to Thea, who stood next to Jace, who stood next to Clary, who was standing next to Izzy, who was on Magnus's other side.

"We must initiate a bond." Magnus spoke, "Once this bond is sealed, it cannot be broken until the demon retreats. No matter what happens, we must not let go of each other's hands."

"Magnus holds his hand out to Thea, who took it resulting in a low booming. Thea extended her hand for Jace to take which he did before giving Clary his. Clary then gave Isabelle her hand which she held before muttering, "you people are pathetic."

Magnus took Isabelle's other hand before saying, "I will lead the ceremony, and you all must do exactly as I say. The demon's name is Valak. And at some point, he will ask for payment in exchange for Clary's memories."

"What do you mean?" Jace asked, "What kind of payment?"

"We will see. Let us begin." Magnus said before he started to speak in Chthonian.

"The necklace." Isabelle spoke, "It's pulsing." A wind howled and the demon appeared in their circle. Magnus looked up and said with seriousness, "Valak is among us. Do not break the bond."

Thea gripped Jace's and Magnus's hand tightener as the force was a lot to hold.

"Hold on!" Jace said to Clary who was slipping. "I'm trying!" Clary exclaimed, feeling her hands getting sweaty.

"It is time, the demon demands payment." Magnus said to which Thea asked, "What does it want?"

"We must each relinquish a beloved memory of the one we love the most." Magnus replied as they all watched as a memory of Alec was taken out of Izzy. Then in Clary's turn, a memory of Jocelyn was taken out of Clary. Then came in, Thea's turn where a memory of her parents were taken out of her. It was Jace's turn when Clary let out a scream and broke the circle by taking her hands away, "I couldn't hold it anymore. It was too much!"

"No!" Magnus shouted as the demon got strong and pushed everyone back. Magnus tried to contain the demon with his magic. "I cannot contain the demon much longer!"

Clary walked over to the demon when Jace shouted, "No!" He pushed Clary back and was grabbed instead.

"Jace!" Isabelle exclaimed before looking at Alec, "Grab him! Grab him!" Thea and Alec rushed towards and helped in pulling Jace out but it was useless.

"The demon is growing stronger!" Magnus said making Alec look at Isabelle and Thea, "he's slipping!"

"Clary, help us!" Isabelle pleaded looking at Clary who seemed hesitant.

"If you kill the demon, you lose your memories forever." Magnus warned the redhead who stayed still, not wanting to lose her memory but at she same time she didn't want to lose Jace. While she was having an internal battle with herself, Jace was seconds away from dying.

"Fuck," Thea muttered before taking out her seraph blade from her belt. She then, without thinking twice stabbed the demon right in the middle , killing the demon instantly. Jace fell on the ground and made no signs of movement.

"Jace..." Clary rushed to Jace, placing his head on her lap, "oh, my God, Jace."

"Jace, get up."

"Is he gonna be all right?" Clary asked Magnus who replied sarcastically, "I don't know. Does he normally just lay like that without moving?"

"He'll be fine." Thea reassured, putting her blade back where it was. The four people present and conscious in the room looked up at her. Clary raised her brows, "how do you know?"

"He isn't dead otherwise your parabatai rune would've started to fade by now. He's just unconscious." Thea stated, "He should regain consciousness in five... four... Three... two... one."

As if on cue, Jace gasped and coughed making everyone sigh in relief.

"I'm all right." Jace assured, "I'm all right. I'm all right. I'm just getting my second wind."

"Oh my god you're fine...thank god!" Clary pulled Jace in for a hug despite being the one who hesitated to save him in the first place.

"Thanks for saving my life." Jace said to Thea with a smile which she returned, "don't make me regret it." Rolling his eyes, Jace hugged Clary back, not caring that she hesitated to save him.

"The life of your friend or a memory. What a hard choice." Thea muttered sarcastically before walking away.