14

"And he took her necklace because she could see Valentine in it."  Jace said and attempted to punch Thea who blocked the punch before kicking Jace behind his legs making him fall on his knees. Without giving him the time to recover, Thea kicked him in the stomach, hard but not hard enough to to leave a bruise. Jace was sent crashing into a wall.

"You're distracted," Thea pointed out before helping Jace up, "what or who is on your mind? Clary?"

Jace shook his head before replying, "you."

"Me?"

"Yeah."

"Okay," Thea pursed her lips in a thin line, "what is it?"

"Why'd you save me?" Jace asked making Thea furrow her brows, "you didn't want to be saved? You want to die? Okay. Let me jus—" Thea was cut off by Jace who rolled his eyes, "It's not that. You don't even know me or like me yet you saved me."

"You don't need to know or like someone to save him, dumbass." Thea mocked before her voice turned serious, "besides, if you were to die, Alec wouldn't be the same again. You are his parabatai for fuck's sake! You have to think about him too—This isn't just about you. So, next time before you decide to sacrifice yourself for the redhead, think about Alec. You die, a part of him dies too."

"How do you know so much?" Jace asked, "Do you have a parabatai?"

"I had," she corrected, "and the pain you go through? I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Now, round two?"

Jace nodded with a smirk before the two got into fighting position. They launched at each other, kicking, punching and blocking each other's attacks. They did that for around fifteen and Thea beat Jace everytime. The two continued, unaware of the pair of eyes on them.

Jace, however spotted the woman watching them and a grin broke onto his face, "Maryse. Hey, It’s great to see you." Jace walked up to her and they hugged making Clary looked at Izzy, who stared at the ground. "How’s everyone in Idris? Where’s, uh… where’s Max?"

"No Max." Isabelle replied, "Just mom with her hair on fire."

"I love how Shadowhunters share. A hidden brother, and a secret country, and a private Portal." Clary commented just as Alec entered the place, "Mother. Welcome back. We didn’t expect you."

Thea stayed behind and watched the woman with curiosity and confusion as well. She saw her somewhere, she just couldn't place her hand on where.

Maryse hugged Alec, "you should be prepared, whether you expect me or not."

"I am." Alec glanced at the others, "We are."

Maryse's eyes fell on Thea and her eyes slightly widened. She instantly composed herself before walking towards Thea who furrowed her brows as Maryse's mouth parted slightly, "unbelievable. Althea. What are you doing here?"

"Thea, that's Maryse, my mother. Mom, she's been sent here by the LA institute to help us with Valentine." Isabelle explained and Maryse let out a chuckle, "sent here by the LA institute? Since when?"

Thea leaned foward and hugged Maryse before whispering, "I just came to help. I mean no harm and we both know that my help in this Valentine stuff is needed. So, why don't you be a dear and play along? Unless you want your children to know who you and your husband were."

Maryse's eyes widened before she cleared her throat and a fake smile on her face, "it's really good to see you."

"Likewise, Maryse."

"Anyway, We’ll talk about the Institute later." She turned to face her children and the Fairchild, "Right now, we have a bigger problem. The Seelies have stopped communicating with the Clave and won’t explain why. My guess is they’re still upset we asked them to send scouts to look for Valentine, but no one in their realm will talk."

"I have Seelie friends." Isabelle spoke up making Maryse look at her in distaste, "Yes, I know about your friends. Isabelle, we stay separate from the Downworld for good reasons. The wrong move, the wrong word… Do you think there is such a thing as harmless rebellion? Who knows what offends these creatures? Maybe you told him… them… something they shouldn’t know. Maybe you trod on one of their ridiculous customs without knowing it."

"You’re laying all this on Izzy for having a friend in the Downworld?" Thea questioned, frowning at Maryse who replied, "when someone upsets the natural order, everything falls apart."

"Oh please," Thea scoffed, "you're just jealous because every single downworlders hate you."

Alec grabbed Thea's hand in attempt to make her shut up. But Maryse shot Thea a look before Isabelle spoke, "I can help. I know how to talk to Seelies."

"She’s right." Alec said, "she can visit with Meliorn and see what he knows. I could go with her if you want."