12

WARLOCK’S LAIR, LIVING ROOM

Thea walked in with Zoe's hand clutched tightly in hers.

"Magnus." Thea called out making the warlock look at her. "Go," she whispered to Zoe who let go of her hand before rushing towards Magnus and hugging him, "Go join the others, my dear. This is no place for a little girl. Go."

"I heard what you did for Zoe. You risked your life without hesitation to save a young warlock child." Magnus said, smiling at Thea who scoffed, "I actually love that kid. Besides, she was just a girl and she was in trouble. I had no choice."

"You always have a choice. You’re not like the others, Althea. Most Shadowhunters protect Downworlders out of sense of duty, but you saved young Zoe because of what was inside your heart. You’re more like your parents than you'll ever know."

"Magnus, you practically raised me." Thea said with a chuckle which made the warlock smile, "how can I help you?"

"I don't need anything. She does." Thea nodded in Clary's direction. "Magnus, please…" Clary begged, "you can’t hide from this battle. Look, Valentine, he found you once, he will find you again. We need to work together. Help me."

"I can summon the demon but you must make the demand." Magnus stated in a serious voice, "now, I warn you… retrieving your memories will not be easy."

"I will do what I have to do." The redhead said firmly to which Magnus nodded, "All right."

"But we’re not safe here. The lair’s location has been compromised." Thea said to Magnus who shot her a smile, "of course. Hold tight, everyone, we’re about to move."

And then Magnus used his magic and teleported them to his apartment.

"Ah, much better." The warlock turned around, "Ugh, it’s inevitable. After each move, I get the itch to redecorate. Normally, I love a dirty lair, but this one is just sloppy."

Ignoring him, Thea settled down on a couch, making herself comfort like she used to whenever she'd come here.

Magnus put his foot on the table and the table flipped over. Alec looked puzzled; when he walked by Magnus, Magnus raised his brows at him before looking at Isabelle, "I believe in payment for services rendered. Thank you for defending the warlocks." He held up the necklace making Isabelle gasp softly, "I couldn’t."

"Oh, but you could. And you should." Magnus walked behind her and put the necklace around Isabelle's neck, "The Lightwoods have been wearing this for years. Besides, this would look silly on your brother."

Isabelle smiled as she touched the necklace.

"I'm just glad you're over Camille." Thea spoke making Magnus roll his eyes as she continued, "she is such a bitch."

"Shut up, Althea." Magnus groaned before snapping his fingers and a packet of chips appeared in her hands, "keep your mouth busy."

"Thanks." Thea grinned before opening her packet. She started eating her snacks while Alec plumped down on the couch next to her, "share?"

Thea chuckled before holding out the packet to him, "have at it."

"Okay, so how do we summon the memory demon?" Clary asked as Thea began crunching her chips loudly making Clary frown at her while Alec cleared his throat, attempting to hide a laugh.

"Can you stop?" Clary asked Thea who shrugged, "I don't control this."

"I'm serious. This is serious." Clary pointed her finger all around her.

"Forget Althea. She had this inability to stay serious in even the most serious situations." Magnus said to Thea who flashed him a smile, "your know me so well."

"Of course I know you. I practically raised you, remember?" Magnus then looked at Clary, "are you certain? Summoning such a powerful demon could be lethal."

"I’ll do anything to save my mother." Clary said firmly, "Where is the demon?"

"In my pocket." Thea replied making Alec, Jace and Isabelle snort but quickly covered it with a couch, trying to keep a straight and serious face while Clary rolled their eyes and Magnus smiled before saying, "Okay. Pretty boy, get your team ready."

"I know what to do." Jace said and took a step foward only to be stopped by Thea, "you aren't pretty boy," she pointed to Alec, "he is."

"What?" Jace raised his brows, confused.

"He meant Alec, not you." She explained making Jace clear his throat in embarrassment before looking at Alec who shrugged, a faint smile playing on his lips.

"Come with me." Magnus said to Clary as the two walked in another room.

"I'm pretty too." Jace said to Thea who stared at him from top to bottom, "who lied to you?" Jace frowned making her chuckle, "kidding. Sure, you are pretty but not more than this guy here." She put her hand in her packet, wanting to get more chips but frowned when it was empty.

"I ate like five." She muttered, glaring at Alec who was looking anywhere else but her. "Fuck you, Alexander."

"I didn't get." Isabelle complained making Jace nod, pouting childlishly, "Me neither."

"You people didn't ask." Thea sighed before shouting, "Magnus!"

"Can you get any more annoying?" Magnus asked as another packet of chips appeared in Thea's hands. She then shared with the others except Alec who was frowning at her, "why aren't you giving me?"

"Maybe because you eat like a pig?"