11

"Clary, we have to move." Jace said to Clary who was breathing heavily, "I’m catching my breath."

"You know, this is great." Alec was beyond frustrated, "and not only did Magnus not get the girl her memories back, he took the necklace. This is fantastic—"

"Alec." Jace cut him off, "the girl… her name is Clary and I highly suggest you keep your voice down."

"Why?" Alec furrowed his brows, "What, are you afraid I’m gonna upset her? We’ve risked our lives again and again for this girl, and where has it gotten us? All right? Nowhere. We’re no closer to getting the Mortal Cup. And we’ve lost the Institute’s necklace."

"Hey, I am right here." Clary snapped, "I don’t care about your damn jewelry. I’m sorry you’re gonna look bad in front of your bosses, okay? But my mother is still missing and my… my last chance at finding her just disappeared into thin air."

"Clary, it’s gonna be fine." Jace assured making the redhead shake her head, "No, it’s not. People are dying because of me. And Magnus? Magnus will never come out of hiding again while Valentine is still after him. We’re never gonna find him. And I will… I will never get my memories back. Thea, do you have any idea where Magnus is? You seem to be close with him."

Thea shook her head, "if Valentine's looking for him, he'll keep his guards up. I don't know where he is."

"So, I will never get my memories back." Clary had tears in her eyes making Thea roll her eyes. The action didn't go unnoticed by Alec who thanked the angels that he wasn't the only one deeply annoyed by Clary.

Thea reached her hand towards Clary's before taking out a button which she accidentally took from Magnus's shirt. She then tossed it to Jace who caught it effortlessly. He thanked her before walking away.

"What is he doing?" Clary asked, confused.

"He’s tracking Magnus." Alec replied, "Be quiet and keep your distance."

"The button belonged to Magnus. Jace can pinpoint the location using that." Isabelle further explained as the button in Jace’s hand started glowing but then faltered. Jace groaned, "No. The signal’s not strong enough. Magnus must be blocking the track. Let’s do this, Alec."

"Do what?" Clary asked again, confused as Alec walked towards Jace.

"Parabatai tracking." Thea replied and watched as Alec and Jace put their hands together, the button closed in within.

"Of course they are." Clary said sarcastically making Thea glare at her, not liking her attitude, "When parabatais track, their power grows stronger. Jace and Alec are gonna track Magnus together."

Alec and Jace's hands started glowing. Seconds later, they pulled away and Jace announced, "got him."

**

WARLOCK'S LAIR

The Shadowhunters were walking through a storage room when Jace spoke, "Magnus’ lair is right behind that fence."

"Magnus lives in a warehouse?" Clary asked to which Jace replied, "Not exactly. Warlock glamour."

"Something’s wrong. " Thea muttered, looking around her, "It’s far to easy to get this close."

"His protective wards must be down." Jace commented as Alec look at Clary warningly, "You… Don’t get in the way."

The shadowhunters then spotted the men fighting and Clary exclaimed, "Oh, God! Valentine found Magnus!"

The five started running towards the fallen man. A little girl ran up to the man and crouched down next to him, tears falling from her eyes.

"Daddy? Daddy! Get up, please." The girl begged as tears streamed down her face. A circle member appeared behind the girl who instantly got shot right in the heart by Thea. The girl turned around and rushed to hug Thea as she cried. "It's okay, Zoe, I've got you."

"Thea..." Zoe sobbed, clutching to her tighter, "daddy's gone."

"Hey..." Thea got on her knees to be of the same level as the girl. She cupped her face, "he's with the angels now, okay? He's watching over you and he wouldn't want to see his princess cry, right?"

Zoe shook her head at Thea's words before hugging her again. "Let's take you to Magnus. He'll protect you."

The other shadowhunters watched as Thea comforted the girl. They were awed at the fact that almost all the downworlders knew her and they liked her.