Prologue Part 1

The story takes place after Superman Begins and before Batman Vs Superman.

The story begins in an air show, where we see the child, Hal Jordan and his teenage brother, Jim at a hangar bay with their father, Martin. He's a test pilot. There they prepare to watch their father be the first of two to fly a brand new highly experimental jet that Ferris Airlines has decided to show off to the crowd. After hearing of the plane's condition Hal begins to worry for his father.

Jim:

What are you afraid of, loser?

Hal:

Back off Jim!

Jim:

What, afraid that daddy won't be with you, to hold your hand this time?

Martin:

Jim, knock it off!

Martin looks at Hal.

Martin:

Don't worry son, it's gonna be alright.

Just before Hal's dad could go, Hal stops him.

Hal:

Dad, I don't think it's safe, please don't go!

His father then kneels down to his son and embarraces him.

Martin:

Don't be afraid son, I'll be fine.

Hal:

How?

Martin:

Well don't tell anyone this, but I have super powers.

Hal:

Really!

Martin:

Of course!

Hal:

What is it? Super-strength, flight?

Martin:

Well... I have the ability to be fearless.

Hal:

What kind of superpower is that?

Martin:

It's the best one yet.

Hal:

Can you fly?

Martin:

Well... no.

Hal:

Can you shoot lasers out of your eyes?

Martin:

Not exactly.

Hal:

So then how powerful is being fearless?

Martin:

Being fearless can give confidence, it can help beat anything you find scary. Like that boogeyman in your closet. That's how I beat him up, I was fearless.

Martin would continue to comfort Hal and in turn that would make Hal a lot less afraid of the jet's conditions. Soon Martin's boss would call for him to get ready. Martian tells Jim to bring Hal to their mother to watch the show. On their way out Hal could see his father and his father's boss getting in an argument. He could see his father getting mad and holding back a punch.

From the crowd Hal was enjoying himself, eating concession stand food and overall just having a good time. Soon it was his father's time. Hal was nervous at first, but he remembered what his father said about fearlessness and dropped the nervousness.

All went well, for a short period of time. Due to the jet being experimental it malfunctions. The crowd sees this but assumes it as part of the show, but Hal notices. Hal jumps off from the stands and attempts to get past security to go to his father. They hold him back, so Hal's brother comes to get him. Unfortunately security mistakes this and grabs Jim, creating a scene, distracting everyone.

Back to Hal's father, He tries to make contact with ground control, but gets no response. Martin and his co-pilot's only choice left is to parachute out. Martin's chute doesn't open and his co-pilot refuses to leave him. Martin, not wanting to be the reason for someone's death, pulls his co-pilot's chute for him, leaving only him to die in the jet. A loud bang can be heard from the distance, security lets go of Hal and his brother in shock. Hal looks up confused, then turns around. He sees his father's jet, crashed on the ground. Hal runs to it, but then a second explosion goes off and knocks Hal to the ground.

Hal's family is forever torn apart by this event. His older brother would now take a more mature tone as he is now man of the house. This event would plunge Hal into a deep depression that would affect his beliefs and his outside life. Carol Ferris, daughter of Hal's dad's boss and Hal's best friend, has not spoken to him since the event.