Bury The Hatchet?

Days pass, but soon days turn into weeks and weeks into a month. Sunrise to sunset Hal's body is trained physically by Kilowag and mentally to focus his will by Tomar-re. Slowly, Hal is morphed into something more than a soldier. Even more than a warrior. He's become something else, something a whole lot more powerful beyond most people's wildest imaginations.

On some of those days, like today Hal would sometimes joke around and entertain other Lanterns to the point even Kilowog couldn't hide his laughter and joy. Tomar-Re would be impressed with Hal's ever growing willpower and creativity.

Tomar-Re:
Beautiful creation, Hal Jordan. I must ask where did you get this idea.

Hal:
My nephew, back on Earth. He was really artistic.

Tomar-Re:
You must be really proud. Do you miss him, Hal Jordan?

Hal:
Yeah! When I get back to Earth the first thing I'm gonna do is show him. And you can just call me Hal by the way. What about you? Do you have anyone waiting for you?

Tomar-Re:
I had a family... once.

Hal:
What happened?
Tomar-Re:
I joined the Corps. To be a Green Lantern also means to be rid of any connections such as love. My family still lives and I am grateful for that.

Tomar-Re leaves Hal to check on another student. His words left Hal to think to himself more about staying a Lantern or leaving to be with Carol.

After the next few days, Hal's two mentors would notice his Will getting stronger and stronger. And slowly they would begin to realize why Abin-Sur's ring chose Hal.

Although everyone else laughed, the only person that was not impressed or happy about Hal was Sinestro. He still believes Hal isn't worthy and after his little joke constructs instead of laughing with the others, he would be insulted by Hal's use of his ring. One day Sinestro finally confronted Hal. Before he does though, he makes a quick stop with Maya to learn more about Hal.

Sinestro:
Hal Jordan.

Hal:
Yeah?

Sinestro:
I've decided to put aside our differences and... bury the hatchet between.

Hal:
Um... ok great.

Sinestro:
I must say I gravely apologize for the way I've acted in the past. (he says sarcastically)

Hal:
Thank you, sir.

Sinestro:
You know after thinking about you for some time you remind me of a fellow of mine. Great guy, follows orders. He had an amazing family, beautiful wife and kids. What about you Hal Jordan, do you have a family?

Hal:
Not at the moment, no.

Sinestro:
But you do have someone, yes?

Hal:
Well... it's complicated.

Sinestro:
You know love is a powerful feeling. When you join the corp you must leave all of that behind.

Hal:
I know. Still kinda thinking about it though.

Sinestro:
You are! Well let me give you advice that could help you finalize your decision.

Hal:
Thanks but no, I'd rather think about this by myself.

Sinestro:
No please I INSIST!

Hal:
*sigh* Alright fine.

In order to trick Hal to leave, Sinestro encourages and persuades Hal to go back to Carol. And he does it in a calm and trusting manner, so Hal would feel that he could trust him. But Hal doesn't fall for it and catches on to Sinestro's game.

Hal:
Thank you, sir for helping me but uh... no thank you.

Sinestro:
What do you mean?

Hal:
You see the thing about being lied to and tricked a lot, you kinda pick on a signal or two. I know what you're trying to do, Sinestro, and it won't work.

Hal leaves Sinestro, stunned and surprised, to go back to training. He never mentioned what Sinestro did to him with anyone.

A lot of time passes on Oa, Hal creates friendships and bonds with the other Lanterns. He learns deep secrets about a majority of the a majority of them, such as the fact some Lanterns have been waiting their whole lives to become a member of the Corp. They idolized the Corp so much that they were willing to give up their own lives in order to become a member.

One day, during recharge and energy preservation practice, Hal is called to the guardians. It's a one on one practice that Hal is failing, because he doesn't know the oath yet.

Hal leaves Tomar-Re, who shows him to the Guardians temple, near The Central Battery Core. Hal enters the dark and quiet room of the Guardians.

Hal:
Hello? Is anyone-

Guardians in sync:
Hal Jordan of Earth, Sector 2814.

Above Hal, he sees a bright greenish-white light coming down to him. He braces himself as the light descends down to him at an alarmingly fast pace. As the light gets closer and closer Hal notices that it takes the form of a glowing arc. The light of the arc illuminates the room. On the top it holds six thrones, sitting on them are small blue men and women with massive heads. They wear red and white robes with the Green Lantern symbols on their chests.

Ganthet:
Welcome to the Hall of the Guardians.

Appa Ali Apsa:
Wait there until the rest of your team arrives. Once they're here we will discuss business.

Instead of just waiting and staying quiet, Hal takes the opportunity to ask the Guardians his questions.

Hal:
Why was I chosen? There were so many other people, I would even argue they're better. Why was it me? Why not... well... Superman

Ganthet:
The ring can only choose beings native to that sector. The Kryptonian that you call Superman is not of your sector.

Hal:
Yeah, but what about the other humans on Earth?

Sayd:
What about the other humans?

Hal:
Why was I chosen out of everyone on Earth? Surely there must've been other's/

Appa Ali Apsa:
If you have such a problem with it then why not just leave!

Ganthet:
Now, now Appa Ali Apsa. The human just asked a question.

Sayd:
To be chosen by the Corp one must have a tremendous willpower, unlike any other in that sector. One must be courageous, one must be fearless.

This leaves Hal a bit happy and excited, but also still a bit confused. He was still shocked to find out that he had the strongest Will across his planet, his sector. After some time Hal and the guardians are joined by Sinestro, the other trainee's, and a group of miscellaneous Green Lanterns. Hal is familiar with them all. Sinestro stares at Hal with a disappointed look in his eyes. They then look to the Guardians.

Ganthet:
Lanterns, as you know the threat of the Red Lantern Corp continues to rain down upon us. That is why we have called you here today, to send you on a reconnaissance mission to scout out the planet of Ysmault and learn of their intentions.

Appa Ali Apsa:
As for you Trainees, you will partner up with one of your Lantern allies and monitor them as they work. Lanterns! You must teach them our ways on the field. Trainees! You will learn from them.

Each of the Lanterns and Trainee's paired up. Hal was about to go with another Lantern, but that's when Balm gets to that Lantern first. Hal goes to another, but he already sees that Kit-Fin and Maya got the others. That just leaves him and Sinestro. The two stare at each other in silence for a hot minute. Not a word is said, but the tension is very clear.

Sayd:
Not only have we chosen this opportunity to let the Trainees learn, but we've also chosen this opportunity for you to bond with one another.

Immediately after saying that, everyone in the room stares at Hal and Sinestro. Their feelings for each other is well known throughout the corp.

Ganthet:
Go forth, the fate of the Corp rests on your shoulders.