Chapter 3.

6 years later..

"They won't hold you under for too long," I remember Jem saying. "They won't drown you, they don't want murder crimes on they're record at such a young age. Just hang in there, if ya' can, I'll be there to get you as fast as I can".

Now would be a good time for that, Jem.

My hair swirled around my face. I'm not sure which was worse, being down here and not being able to breathe, or being up there, alone with the kids who want to hurt me. My chin scratched the bottom of the fountain.

Suddenly the hand gripping the back of my neck jerked me up, and I breathed air again. I gasped and coughed up water, and I couldn't see anything because of the mop of wet hair covering my eyes and face. I heard their laughing, and my arm being pressed against my back was twisted higher. I yelled out. "Jem!! Jem help!! Someone help!!" I wailed. More laughter. I panted and took huge breaths. I didn't know when my face would be in water again.

"You stupid, pathetic little girl," said the voice holding my arm. The next time he spoke, his lips tickled my ears. "You're never getting out of this". I was about to scream "You liar!" But of course he slammed my head into the fountain before I could catch my breath.

We started getting bullied when we first started school, Jem and I. We decided, back then, that we would focus only on socail studies and block out all the other subjects. Of course, though, our plan was spoiled that same week when the teacher noticed more than half of our homework had not been turned in. The kids made fun of us increasingly each year, and although we didn't like it, it made us stronger. And besides, being the only kids who get picked on and shunned, without each other we'd be pretty lonely.

They held me under a while. I held my breath as long as I could and tried to turn their muffled jibberish back into English, I wanted to know what they were saying. But I was running out of air. I tried to get free and lift my head up but the grip tightened. And suddenly, it was as if a balloon popped. There was a struggle and then there was nothing.

~~~

When I woke up, I was lying on my side facing away from the fountain. The kids had Jem restrained ten feet away. My eyes stared at the picture painted in front of me, but I didn't focus on anything in particular. Move, Edelweiss. He's probably worried you're dead and he lied to you. Move. You're fine, move! But I couldn't, no matter how much I wanted to. Jem looked horrified.

Someone jerked me up, and I regained movement. I fixed my eyes on the ground. "See," said the guy holding me up. "She's not dead. Now lets-" "Aw, just let them go". My head turned to the side. One of their group stood, arms crossed looking annoyed. "They've had enough. Just leave 'em be for today". The guy holding me looked mad, and asked angrily, "Why should I?"

"Because you pick on them every day. And they deserve a break."

He didn't argue, though he looked angry. He shoved me back to the ground. I scrambled back up an ran to Jem who was being freed, and we ran away as fast as we could, Jem helping me.