Chapter 31.

All Jem felt was a black freeze, a cold enveloping him entirely, prickling up his spine with big, dark fingers-

And then he could see. His pupils were pinpoints as he took in what his eyes saw: the corner of a wall colliding with the ceiling, a white line being the only thing separating them.

Shock replaced the cold, a thread of lightning and the deep, resonate sound of thunder in the Antarctic. Jem shouldn't be seeing anything. He should have died in Edelweiss' arms; died fighting the mayor's cold sword. But no, he realized, another smaller shock. He was alive.

Jem tried to move, but it was like trying to yell over the noise of a rock and roll concert. His muscles' didn't hear him, and all he could do was stare at the wall and blink.

Then, the bed he was laying down on raised into a sitting position, like a dentist's chair, and he could see more of the room. Small, confined. Dark colored walls and a checkered floor. A middle aged woman stood in the middle of it, holding the bed's remote. She wore a long, white coat and had unrealistically blue eyes. Jem was aware of an IV dripping a strange clear liquid into his vein, though he didn't want to move it in case it was the only thing keeping him conscious.

"Hello," said the woman. She had a very strange accent from somewhere Jem didn't know. "My name is Elizabeth Sykes. I am from the land I know as Anstralia, and I came to what you know as Sunset Valley. I found you in a forest, half dead, barely breathing. You were quite interesting to look at, however, so I took you to my base and saved your life." When Jem did not reply, she added, "It may take a while for your muscles to.. Start up, will you, after being unused for such a long time, but your mouth should be ok by now."

Jem tried to open his mouth. It opened without a problem, but when he tried to speak, nothing came out. All he could do was mouth the words 'Thanks'.

Elizabeth smiled. "No problem, my dear. When you're able to start walking and talking again, I'll send you.. Where do u want to be sent?"

Jem's mind clicked into place. He remembered the last place he was before he was murdered, before his life flashed before his eyes. The greens in Sunset Valley. Edelweiss. She thinks he's dead, he remembered with a start. They all do. He has to tell them.

Jem's mind also showed images of them all running off to get themselves Re-Made. Something in him contracted. They wouldn't look like themselves. Or act like themselves. How would he recognize them?

'Somehow', said a voice in his mind, 'You'll know. Their former selves couldn't be completely canceled out just yet. Please, not yet.'

"To Afsia," Jem told Eliazabeth. "Take me to Afsia."

END OF BOOK 1.

~~~

Author's Note:

Jem is alive! So, how did you guys like the book (thanks for reading this far, btw)? I will write book two once I finish a few of my other books. I edited this one, though, so it should be a little better than it was when I started.

Anyways, thanks again for reading, if you like, please vote, if not, please no hate in the comments. Bye!