Chapter 20.

*Edelweiss's POV*

In that moment, that stupid, ridiculous moment, I swear I heard something inside me break.

All I know is I definitely felt something break.

And boy, did it hurt.

Kaya looked up at me with mournful eyes, as if she could read my thoughts. I dropped her gaze and stared at the rocky ground. 'Why', repeated in my head, surged through my veins like poison. It was about to spill out of my mouth, when I heard splashing and laughter. I glanced up, and saw Kaya smiling, pulling Jem out of the water. Kaya looked beautiful. I could see why Jem liked her so much.

I glanced down at Freya, who was looking up at me sympathetically.

"Eddie-"

"Don't call me that. Please." I was about to add that Jem loved to call me that, but it got caught in my throat like a piece of un-chewed meat. It was ironic, however, because I felt chewed up and spit out.

"Edelweiss. Whatever. Lets go jump again, and we can head back to camp, if that's okay with you?"

Slowly, with hesitation, I nodded. We climbed to the top of the mountain, when I noticed Freya's face light up like a Christmas tree.

"I have an idea!"

"I can tell."

"Don't you want to know what it is?"

"Sure."

She practically bounced up and down in excitement."Throw me!!"

I was puzzled. "You want me to throw you off a cliff?" She nodded vigorously.

"Freya, you're insane. What if you hit a rock?"

"I won't!!"

"But-"

"Edelwiess," she cut me off. "Trust me."

I sighed. She was still staring at me. I picked her up bridal style, and she squealed so loud I almost dropped her.

"Jeez, Freya! Don't do that!"

She giggled. "Sorry."

Throwing out all my doubt, I counted to three and tossed her as far as I could away from the edge of the cliff. She shrieked, a little girl, wavering scream, and flew down into the little abyss.

"What was that about?!"

I turned around, and Jem was there with his arms crossed. Something tugged inside me as I saw Kaya behind him.

"She wanted me to throw her."

"So you threw a nine year old off a cliff, Edelweiss?"

"Because it was requested."

"What is wrong with you?"

His words were like lemon juice in my wounds. But I can't show it. Not now.

I shrugged.

He sighed dramatically and turned to Kaya. She said something inaudible, and I could hear a snippet of what Jem said. But it was more than enough.

"We never should have came here."