Chapter 22.

Jem stumbled back. Kaya turned red faster than hot iron, which she still managed to make look good. Edelweiss had a look of complete horror on her tear-streaked face. Jem had never seen her so scared, so vulnerable. She basically set herself up, thought Jem as anger boiled up inside him, to be struck at the perfect moment.

"You eavesdropped on us, Edelweiss?!" Jem spat the word 'eavesdropped' as if it was the dirtiest word he's ever heard.

"I wasn't spy-"

"Don't give me that, Edelwiess. You and I both know that's a lie. But you wouldn't think that, would you? Because you just have no common sense. You just do what you feel like, no matter what the cost. And it's not just hurting you, but EVERYONE around you! Because of you, we commit an illegal crime! We're on the death row! You got Torrance shot! All because you FELT like coming here! Well, newsflash. Not everyone in the world cares whatever you are feeling!" His voice caught, but Jem couldn't bring himself to look at her. He wasn't sure wether he wanted to take his words back or not. He knew one look at her face would change that.

"You're right," Edelweiss said finally, though she knew coming to Sunset Valley was Jem's idea too. "I'm sorry I eavesdropped on you."

"Just.. Leave." It was Kaya who spoke. She was breathing heavily, and was close to tears herself. Jem heard footsteps leaving off into the distance. There was a long pause.

"Jem, I'm gonna go to bed," Kaya said softly. Jem stared at the ground. She waited a second, then left as if nothing happened. Jem sighed. Was it really all worth it? He looked up at the sky, as if waiting for someone to appear and tell him the answer.

"Hello."

Jem shot around. The mayor stood there, in another disgusting colored suit, an evil grin plastered on his chubby face. Jem was standing in a flash, prepared to take down the large man.

"Oh, no," the mayor crackled. "That won't be necessary. I come alone, and in peace."

Jem tensed. "What do you want?"

"I have come to propose a deal."

"What kind of deal?" Jem did not trust this man. He trusted a potato for directions more than his little 'deal'.

"Straight after you and your criminal friends visit the 'Re-Maker' or whatever you want to-"

"How do you know our plans?" Jem demanded. The mayor laughed.

"We know everything about you guys. Even where you hold your little campsite. And, might I add, we can sent an army of solders out there to annihilate very single one of you, if you don't agree to my terms."

"And how is that?"

"The bullet Mr. Torrance took is part tracking device. Technology is really advancing these days, wouldn't you say? Anywho, once you have re-made yourselves, take your friends behind the building there. And hold still. Now, here's where the deal comes in. You can just let us kill you, with the promise not to hurt any of your other friends."

"Wait, why me?!"

"Because, you're the one who captained your ship onto another country, helped the most wanted criminal in the country escape, and you, if killed, will impact the most people in your silly little group. Now, do we have a deal?" The mayor held out his hand.

Jem looked at his flabby hand, an back to his scream fight with Edelweiss. He knew the mayor was lying. He was going to kill them all, for all Jem knew. But Edelweiss was his best friend, his only friend for the longest time, and he had to protect her. His life was worth saving a portion of hers.

"We have a deal," he shook the mayors hand, while thinking to Edelweiss, 'There. We're even now.'