Chapter 30.

The first thing I saw was a black flash- well, more of a dark streak- darting into the trees so fast, it was a blur. Goodbye to you, too, Kaya.

Then Torrance was shoving me on the boat, bullets whistling by his head. I could hear the tiny sound they made, barely audible but there. Like little fireworks.

I was on the boat then, something holding me back as Torrance ran, not as fast as Kaya, into the trees. Someone was screaming after him, telling him to come back, and then Lacey had yanked me down just in time to miss a flying bullet. The boat jerked backwards, and was leaving quickly, but the screaming wouldn't stop. It wasn't until Lacey put her hand over my mouth and my throat burned as if I'd swallowed tiny knives that I realized the screaming was mine.

"Hurry," Lacey said hastily. "They're probably coming with their fastest ships after us. We have to go to full power, now."

I helped her pull the full speed lever and we sailed pretty fast across the ocean. We sailed for hours and hours and didn't stop for anything, nonetheless run into anybody. But my mind was a minefield.

What would I say to my mother when I come home? If she is home? How am I supposed to explain Lacey and Jem to their families? When I blinked, an image of Jem's sister, crumpled on the ground, sobbing, imprinted itself on my eyelids. This shook me. I would have to be the one to tell them this. Tell them that I wasn't Edelweiss anymore, that Lacey is not Freya, tell them all that Jem is dead. That my best friend for the past six years is gone.

What a burden for a teenager.

I didn't know what to do the ride home. It was long and quiet. Eventually the sun broke off and scattered itself into the night sky, though I don't remember when that happened. Lacey fell asleep, crossing out the option of sleep for me, so I manned the wheel. I wondered how Afsia has changed while I've been gone. If anyone noticed I missing, and if so, if they missed me. Missed me like I missed Jem.

~~~~

"Aster!" A familiar voice pulled me from my sleep. At first, I found it soft, comforting. "Mother?" My own voice sounded clumsy in my ears. I realized then that the voice was not soft, but urgent and pleading. Sarcastic when I heard: "Yes, Aster, it's your mommy. NOW GET UP."

I opened my eyes. Lacey was there, her dark hair tickling my face. "You have to see this," she said, and stood back. I rose to my feet, and my jaw dropped.

Afsia is how I remembered it. Except for the fact that people in long, white uniforms were battling my people. And by the looks of it, we were losing.

"And look." Lacey pointed the other direction. I turned my head to find a large fleet of ships sailing fast towards us; firing sharp harpoons that thankfully missed us by a landslide. Captains of the ships yelled and cursed at us. I thought I even caught sight of my mom on one of them.

Caught between two battles. Like peanut butter between two slices of bread. Either way, we were more than likely going to die.

And for the first time, I was actually okay with it.

"Which way do we sail?" Lacey's voice was grim, but accepting. She knows what's coming, and I know she's planning on going down bravely. Never have I felt more proud, never have I forgotten about something so big for so long.

"Home," I reply. This is it. The last word. More than likely my final word. Home, Afsia. At least I will die fighting for my last word. Or I will die defending my dream, depending on how fast the fleet will follow us. I almost laughed. Sometimes you do have to follow your dream, despite how completely insane or illegal it may be.

Lacey nods, her eyes steady. She pulls the speed lever to full blast. We are soaring across the ocean. To home. To die, but to die at home.