Chapter 19.

*Jem's POV*

Did she really just do that?

Normally it is me who jumps first just to show her it's safe. Now she's jumped and I'm not even sure if I want to at all.

Kaya glances at me with round, brown eyes. She reads me like a book and stifles a laugh. "Jem," she whispers softly. "Jump with me." I look down and find her hand is outstretched to me. Like a missing puzzle piece. I place my hand inside hers, and it seems like a perfect fit. I close my eyes. Suddenly, something jerked my hand outward; my eyes flew open. Kaya was falling, pulling me with her. Something inside me, strong as the scent of baking cookies, wanted to catch her, pull her to safety. It occurred to me it was stronger than the realization that I was falling too.

My heart drummed so fast it was a quick humming in my ears. Kaya stared into me, smiling, pulling me closer. We were soaring it seemed. Birds with broken wings. Angels that haven't yet learned to fly. I felt weightless, like my only purpose was to protect her. To be with her. Forever.

As we neared the water, I closed my eyes, Kaya's hair whipping my face. Suddenly, a pain surged deep inside me. The twinge of regret followed almost immediately. My eyes flew open, and my gaze was locked with Edelwiess's. She was dripping wet next to Freya. Although we only looked at each other for a second, her eyes screamed a million soundless words. They knifed their way through my chest.

Then, we slapped into the darkness, and a pain bloomed where my body hit the water. Everything was black and cold, and I had suddenly lost Kaya.

I guess I deserved it.