Chapter 5.

A month, and we would be sailing to Sunset Valley. Tick tock, tick tock.

Jem and I got jobs to speed up the process. I babysat, he dog walked. We used that money to pay for a.) school bullying problems and b.) incase we face some trouble on Sunset Valley unarmed. But it was hard to do all this while keeping it a secret from your mom, who happens to be very mischievous. Thankfully, I'm pretty good about keeping secrets. I'm still keeping the secret that my old dog stole Jem's brownie when my mom baked some. And the dog died three years ago.

I bit into my sandwhitch.

I sat under the ramp to my math classroom, hidden from everyone else, waiting for Jem to come back with his lunch he bought. Of course, the place I was eating was only so many yards away from the actual lunch court, which was both good and bad, but it was worth not being seen. I scanned the lunch court for Jem, and found him just walking out of it. Then he stopped and turned around. What was he looking at? I focused in behis him on the group the normally bullied us. They were picking on a little girl, who couldn't be more than nine. Oh no. Jem, please leave it alone..

But I knew my brave friend who wasnt at all cautious. And only he would go for bait like that.

I dropped my sandwhitch and ran.

I slowed down and blended in with the crowd, watching the scene unfold in front of me.

"Hey!" Jem yelled. "It's okay to pick on us, but leave little kids alone!" In reply, he got the bullies' attention and a, "I'll show you little!" From the tiny girl being picked on. Jem stood his ground. "We've gotten bored of you and your fat little girlfriend," said the tallest one with a buzz cut. Hey! I was NOT his girlfriend! And I may not be the skinniest person in the world, but I deffinately wasn't fat!

"She isn't my girlfriend" came Jem's reply. "And she's skinnier than you, thanks."

Meanwhile, the little girl slipped out of sight, and dashed towards me. She hid behind my back, and suddenly all eyes were on me. I felt my cheeks go hot, though Jem's gaze steadied me.

"Lets go.." I told the girl, and we left quickly so only Jem could follow.