11. Surprise, I Love You

Taehyun tried and tried to come up with a good idea, but no matter how much he tormented his brain, he was still completely lost.

"Guys, tell me you know what you're getting noona for her birthday," he said in frustration. "I, for one, don't have any idea whatsoever."

"Who, Nari?" Beomgyu peered over the edge of his book. "You're her boyfriend and you don't know?"

"It's just that I've already given her a lot of stuff," Taehyun groaned, burying his face in his arms, slumped over the table. "Even those new books she was eyeing at the bookstore three months ago."

"Somehow, I think you should have waited until her birthday," Kai commented.

"Probably, but she had already read the first book and was daydreaming all day about the other ones. She literally wasn't sleeping at night sometimes."

"I bet she mumbles in her sleep about it," Soobin guessed.

"She does," Taehyun said. "You know how she sleepwalks sometimes? I caught her standing in the middle of the living room and repeating a whole dialogue. Once I walked into her room to wake her up before she was late for work and she was doing the exact same thing."

"Bookworms," Yeonjun pronounced with mock disgust. "I will never understand you and your obsession with books."

Beomgyu and Taehyun turned their glares on him instantly. "And I'll never understand why you chickened out and ended up not asking Minsoo to marry you," Beomgyu said. Yeonjun turned his own glare on them.

"Hey, I asked her later," he complained. "It was one time! Besides, weren't you the one who almost ran away from your own wedding?"

"Now's not the time to rehash that," Soobin cut in, always the peacemaker. "Anyone have any good ideas for Nari?"

"Noona does like pretty jewelry," Kai ventured, putting down his textbook and pencil, pausing his studying for a moment. "I think she'd like a necklace?"

"True," Taehyun conceded, "but that's a bit basic."

"It's the intent that counts," Soobin wagged his finger at him.

"Maybe you should just propose to her," Beomgyu snickered. "Woman's in love enough that she'd accept a plastic ring."

"Yes, I'm only delaying my proposal because I don't have a pretty plastic ring," Taehyun deadpanned. "Genius, I'm not going to ask her that yet! We've only been together for barely two years!"

"What did you get her last year?" Beomgyu asked.

"When we first started dating, I couldn't afford anything to give her, so I got her that ring she wears all the time. The one with the tiny sapphire in the middle. It was the best I could do, but she was so happy she cried for nearly half an hour."

"Wow, she's whipped for you," Yeonjun shook his head. "Even more than she was whipped for me. My pride is hurt."

"Shut up, you have Minsoo noona," Taehyun said off-handedly. He didn't really mind that Yeonjun made jokes about when he and Nari dated, knowing that he was absolutely head-over-heels for Jeon Minsoo. "And why wouldn't she be? I'm wonderful."

"I have an idea!" Soobin suddenly said. "You know how she's always talking about how she's so jealous that we're all 'gifted with such good singing voices'?"

"Yeah?" Taehyun tilted his head, interested. "What about it?"

"Are you saying we sing a song for her?" Kai asked. "Not very special, is it, considering Taehyun does that for her all the time?"