Where it All Went Wrong

God I'm so stupid... Why would I agree to tell him about that mission. No one was supposed to know what happened, U.A. covered it up for a reason, especially with all the drama surrounding our first and second year there's no way they could take another hit from the public and keep their reputation. With the retirement of All Might the league growing and Shigaraki becoming unstable it was inevitable we would have another incident, but no one thought it would be another kidnapping mission on their part.

     "So um do you remember that mission in our third year that had little to no information that they allowed us to volunteer for?" I asked Todoroki hoping he would at least somewhat know I was referring to.

     Luckily he did, "I believe so, the one where you, Midoriya, Kirishima, and Bakugo were the ones picked out of the volunteers correct? That was the first mission I was denied going on."

     "Yes, that one... well even though they gave us little to no information as interns once we were assigned the mission we got the details. The original story was that it was a research facility holding the information on how the league is able to develop the hybrid Nomu. Get in, get out with the info, be done. That's what the class was told. But the moment we sat down in that meeting room about 7 more undercover pro heroes also waked in including our very own teacher, Mr. Aizawa. I thought it was a little overkill for what the mission brief said, and turns out I was right the mission wasn't what we were told."

    "What do you mean? When the guys came back to class finally they said it went fine and was exactly what you just said it was. They said you didn't come back until later because of an ambush." Todoroki interrupted as I was about to continue.

      "Just wait a moment I'm getting to that," I told him. Goodness I know I'm taking awhile to explain, but this whole mess is hard to think about and I want that to be clear to him. "Okay so it turns out it was a research facility like they said, but it wasn't a grab and go, it was supposed to be a sneak attack on the league, it seems under the facility was a new hideout where some of the members were staying to observe the development in the lab. They were creating these paralyzing bullets, I don't know how they made them, I never got the details but they packed a nasty punch."

       "How do you know that? Did someone get hit with one on the mission?"

     "Yah someone did..." I trailed off not necessarily wanting to get to the next part, I hoped he wouldn't ask who then I could skim over that part.

    "Who got hit? What did the bullet do? Why didn't the media hear about this mission when it was over? Is the coverup the reason it took the guys so long to come back?"

     "The media didn't hear about the situation, because it would've caused a panic, and the point was the mission was a surprise attack. It also wasn't talked about after because in the end it was all taken care of. The reason it took the guys so long to return was because of the person who got hit and the side mission that followed it."

      "And this mission that managed to keep you all away for a month and a half was?" Todoroki continued to press the subject. It felt more like an interrogation rather than a friend trying to find out what happened, and that made me hesitant to continue. "(L/N), hello? Are you going to continue?"

     "Yah... so the person who got hit was me" I stated while pulling the collar of my shirt to the side to show the scar between by my shoulder. The veiny light line scars spreading away from the impact wound. "And the mission that kept them away was trying to get me back from the league."

     I paused refusing to look at Todoroki's face. He probably believes that I'm weak or useless if I'm the one they had to go and rescue. We sat there in awkward silence before ai heard Todoroki whisper out a quiet "what?". I looked  up at his face seeing his mostly expressionless face like normal, however his tone expressed surprise and his eyes shown with a slightly guilty look. 

     "I know stupid huh. The hero in training had to be saved. Pathetic isn't it?" I chuckled out looking away from his face. Suddenly I heard him speak up again.

     "It's not. Now um can you tell me what happened on the mission?" He questioned more hesitantly this time. It seems he is grasping more the gravity of the situation that occured.

      "Sure. Okay so the reason they selected the four of us from the class was because we all had strong or power type quirks. Kirishima could defect the bullets like in first year, Bakugo with his explosions, Deku with his speed, and me with well my ability to enhance mine and others power. It seemed like the perfect group to work together, but they split us up. I got put in the group that would attack from the rear, out job was just to keep them from leaving the building. However, something went wrong, it was a miscommunication between the teams, and right as we entered the door a group was already firing at us. Some rushed for cover to evaluate the situation, others rushed to attack, but as one of the last ones in the door I noticed someone sneaking around the side. Aiming a gun straight as Mr. Aizawa as he was the biggest threat against their quirks. Without thinking I ran over and pushed him out of the way getting hit in the process."

     "So that's why he seemed so distressed when he came back to class after the mission..." Todoroki mumbled before I continued.

    "Yah he tried to blame himself for everything that happened after they found me, but it wasn't his fault. My own choices got me there and I can deal with that. Anyway when I finally felt the pain after the initial shock I realized I couldn't move and I couldn't activate my quirk to try and flush the drug out. I was stuck on the ground watching everyone else fight. 15 minutes of complete paralysis and 30 of halted quirk activation. Aizawa was the only one close enough to even attempt to protect me while I was down. The others in our group had started pushing forward into the building and had no idea about what had happened. It all seemed fine as Aizawa was holding his ground until some more men made their way into the room. Of course it couldn't be easy and the main league members came in. Aizawa tried to get me out and call for back up, but with them all surrounding us it was useless." I paused for a moment recounting the look on his face the moment he realized he couldn't get to an exit. 

     "He knew he couldn't get us both out. I knew he was trying to keep a brave face but I could tell by how tense he was he was panicking. I always knew he cared for us as his students, but in that moment I realized how much he really cared and the way he looked around made me realize that we were at the end of our luck. While some of them engaged Aizawa a wall of blue flames was set up between us, and then I saw Aizawa just freeze looking at me. I had no clue why as I still was unable to move, but the moment I felt a hand on my arm I knew why he stopped. Shigaraki was behind me and put quirk canceling cuffs on me before letting his hand hover over my wound. Aizawa tried to convince them to leave me be, to just walk away and fight them. Turns out I was their target all along... Aizawa trying to get to where I was was the last thing I saw of the battle before I was transported back to the leagues other base we had no clue about. That's all I know of the battle, I have no idea what the other squads went through and if anyone else was a target, but I was the only one brought back."

     Todoroki sat silently processing all the information I had just told him before asking the main questions I was aiming to avoid, "So what happened while you were there? And for how long?"

    I paused taking a deep breath, "I was there for a month... that's why Bakugo, Midoriya, and Kirishima must have come back so late. Because they were all apart of the rescue mission." I finished hoping he would forget the first question.

    "A month?" He questioned to himself quietly, "It took them that long?"

     I nodded silently not wanting to have to say more than I had to. Recalling the longest and toughest month I've ever lived through was not something I wanted to do with someone who didn't even want me around, but it's better than starting another fight.

     "So what happened while you were there?" He questioned again. It seemed hesitant, but he still asked it making me tense up.

      "Umm... a lot of stuff. I guess I could tell you if you really wanted."

     "Yes. Please continue I would like the whole story about this so I can better understand what is going on with you." He bluntly stated while looking at me. 

   "Ok. Fine."

----------------------------------------

A/N: next chapter will have the recounting of the month missing! Thanks for reading and happy new year!