The Red Coat

Recap: Park Suseonhwa returns home late at night after her first day as a makeup intern at BigHit Entertainment. Her abusive ex boyfriend Ray is waiting for her and despite her best attempts to hide the truth, he figures out about her job application. He burns her ID card down and locks her up to stop her from leaving the house.

________________________________________________

Suseonhwa

The house was locked from outside

The house was locked from outside. All windows too. Ray always did this when he pleased. Locking me up and going out for days together. He was probably drunk somewhere , at his lowlife friends' place.

 It was already getting late. I couldn't afford to leave a bad impression with Seoyun(the head stylist at BigHit) and lose this job. I had to be there on time. I took out my phone and dialled his number for the 10th time, not sure if he'd answer.

On phone:
Su:(fearfully)"Ray. I need to go out"

Ray: "You know I can't let you go, Susie."

Su: "Ray please. Please. I need this job."

Ray: "Why? You have me. You dont need to take the trouble. You know I have always taken care of you"

Su:"Y-yes you have. But.....Cho needs to be put in a better school. So I thought-"

Ray:(Yelling)"Better school!? That school is just fine for that little snitch. How much ever I provide for you both....it's never enough , right?"

I closed my eyes, my anxiety growing. His words, his emotional torture was starting. 

Ray bore my sisters expenses. And he used that to make me feel like I owed him my life. Every time, he took the conversation in a direction where I ended up feeling like I was a horrible person

I knew if I cave in, I will be broken again, believing his words that I deserved nothing more than the life he gave me. 

No. Not this time.  I promised myself, today I wasn't going to fall for it.

Su: "We...we are not together anymore Ray, I have taken enough help from you.."
Ray:"Tsk tsk....baby girl, I'll always be there for you..."
My skin crawled. 'I don't want you in my life!' I wanted to scream out. 

Su:(gathering courage)"Ray. Please come back and open the door. I'm getting late." 

There was silence.

Ray:(scarily calm)"I was there for you when you were rotting. I provide for your deaf sister. I give you everything. Yet you wanna go and get a fucking job just to put me down."

Su:(distressed)"No Ray-"

Ray:"Then why!?? Why would you fucking apply?! You want to insult me by making more money than me, don't you?"

Su:"Insult you? No Ray-"

Ray: "Do you know how much you hurt me, Susie? I give you so much. You are living a life because of me, but still you never leave a chance to insult me."