❀ | chapter four

004.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❃ ◦ ━━━━━━ 

     Everything reminded Maggie of something. 

     The circles on the walls and ceiling alone brought her back to the beginning of her Mount Weather journey with Bellamy. Staring up at the intricate pattern just after she had practically been stripped of her humanity, she was reminded of the true feelings she had felt. It looked no different than it did the last time. That's why she chose to sit calmly at the foot of one of the cots, loosely hugging her knees as she waited for the procedure to be done. 

     When she heard Abby finally whisper to Lincoln, "He's waking up," she took no hesitation in springing up to see him, as well. 

     Watching from a safe distance, not wanting to get in the way, she watched as the two reunited. Luckily, the color had returned to Nyko's face, and he was able to talk without any visible problems. 

     "When can we move him?" Lincoln soothingly inquired, "It doesn't look good for us to be here."

     Jackson, unamused, shot him a glare, "This place just saved his life."

     Feeling the urge to chime in, Maggie inched closer, "Yeah, and it did just the opposite for many too."

     "Maggie's right," Lincoln acknowledged, "It's not that simple. Our people— they'll never see anything but death here."

     "Our people are wrong, Lincoln. We can change their minds. Places are not evil, brother. People are."

     Despite understanding his point, Magnolia couldn't bring herself to agree in this scenario. For decades upon decades, it was where the Grounder's enemy resided; now that that enemy was eliminated, they were just going to take it over? Reside in those walls, just like they once had? 

     "Abby. This place— it could do so much good," her assistant's eyes remained full of life. Sure, maybe from a doctor's perspective there was a lot of beneficial equipment. But that was a doctor talking; not a person who truly knew what went down inside of that mountain's walls. "For our people and theirs."

     Lincoln couldn't stand for this. Right? Magnolia looked to him for some sort of reassurance, but his eyes remained fixated on the ground. He had appeared to be deep in thought, contemplating and weighing the options they had, "We have to find hope somewhere," he finally settled, causing the girl beside him to gulp. 

      "Abby," Maggie pleaded, desperate for someone to see her point through, "Don't tell me you're actually considering this."

     Intrigued by girl's differing opinion, her eyebrows raised, "And why shouldn't I?"

     "This place has been seen as the lion's den for 97 years. Moving our civilization into here would do nothing but put a target on our people's backs," she interpreted, "Their technology is advanced; I get it. Using their resources is good, but are we seriously going to risk everything? They tortured our people, and I can't even imagine the extent of what they did to the Grounders," she waved her hands towards Lincoln and Nyko.