❀ | chapter fourteen

014.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❃ ◦ ━━━━━━ 

     Octavia's strategy had worked. The coast was all clear, and Abby and Miller had met up with them. 

     As Maggie sat on one of the sets of bunkbeds, Miller had begun to undo her restraints speedily. "Thanks for saving my ass," she lowly spoke, brown eyes flooded with endearment. They were putting a lot at jeopardy by helping, and the brunette acknowledged that. 

     "Your ass— is worth saving," Miller winked jokingly, to which Maggie couldn't hold in a chuckle, "I'm completely serious though. Besides, I'm only returning the favor."

     "Okay S, come in," Harper's voice came through the radio, causing Octavia's brow to clearly furrow. 

     Also taking note of the nuance, Kane looked up at her, "What is it?"

     "This wasn't the plan. We used their frequencies so they could hear us," she raised the radio to her mouth, "Go ahead!"

     "Stay where you are," Harper cautioned, sounding as though she wasn't playing around, "Repeat, stay where you are. The exit is not clear."

     "How many guards?"

     "Too many. I said stay put," the girl reiterated, to which everyone's eyes darted to one another. 

     Before anybody could come up with a new plan, or some other measure to take, a new voice spoke through the radio. "Calling all guards. The prisoners are headed for the main gate. The prisoners are headed for the main gate, over." Monty.

     "He's on our side?" Maggie inquired, clearly out of the loop having been in lockup and under strict watch before that. 

     "We didn't believe him at first," Miller caught her up, "Guess he's with us after all."

     Kane chimed in, "Pike will find out."

     "We don't know that," Abby contradicted, but as far as Maggie was concerned, that was the least of their worries right now. They had a window of time now that Monty had provided it, and they needed to utilize what could be their last chance, "What we do know is that we have to move."

     Nodding once but surely in agreement, the eighteen year old agreed, "Abby's right. This might be our last opportunity."

     With that, everyone was in consensus. They stormed out of the room, careful to not make too much noise but also be quick on their feet. Truthfully, guards could be anywhere, so they needed to quickly go through the unmonitored corridors. 

     It didn't take long to meet up with Harper, where she paced back and forth nervously, but calmed down at the sight of everyone. She opened up a passageway in the wall, which Maggie didn't even know was there in the first place. It would've been useful on countless occasions, but it didn't matter anymore. 

    "Go, go, come on," Kane urged, trailing towards the back of the group. Magnolia hopped in first, with Miller and Harper, just as she heard a voice over the loudspeakers across Arkadia. 

     "Attention all citizens. Emergency lockdown is in effect. Return to your quarters immediately."

     Gray felt strange being one of the first out. She was used to looking after everyone first and caring about herself last. But, she was encouraged to get out as quick as possible and that everyone was capable of handling themselves as long as they hurried. She supposed they were right.