❀ | chapter seven

007.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❃ ◦ ━━━━━━ 

     The only reason Bellamy chose to wake up Maggie was because of the memorial happening to commemorate the lives lost at Mount Weather. She was glad he made that decision, because if she had missed it, it would've made her feel worse than she already did to begin with. 

     Sitting there with her legs crossed and foot bouncing, Maggie couldn't quite decide how she felt about Pike just yet. Thoughts conflicting, it was bizarre for her to not get a solid read on people; especially those who weren't even total strangers. She fiddled with one of the loose buttons on her guard uniform. 

     It was no secret that Pike's method of teaching Earth skills had been— different. What he did was harsh, and even grotesque at times. And although Maggie didn't fully get it up there on the Ark, it was clear as crystal now. He prepared them in unconventional ways that, in the long run, helped them better than any standard lecture would've.

     But Pike hadn't been there since the beginning, like the delinquents were. Something about that experience gave them an entirely different outlook that even he didn't cover in Earth skills. Others just couldn't make sense of it. Charles Pike had it out for the Grounders, without even being aware of their full history with them, and that nerved Maggie. She didn't think she could trust him. It seemed like a decent consensus, for now.  

     The idea of a service was nice, though. She could acknowledge that in the very least. 

     "Who will speak for Gina Martin?" he inquired sternly yet endearingly, and speaking the girl's name made Raven, Bellamy, and Maggie all stiffen as they sat next to one another. After a deep inhale, Maggie nudged the boy beside her to go up and speak, like he intended to. A book Gina had given him rested in his hands, and it didn't take all that much thinking for him to choose that as the piece to keep her memory alive. 

     Most of the people that had died didn't even have anyone related or insanely close to them to say a few words. If the circumstances weren't as they were, Maggie would've argued that it was pitiful.

     It was rare for Bellamy to seem so solemn. Yet, there he was, in front of the small crowd, seemingly at a loss of words as a whole. More than likely, he was still shaken up from giving away his place in the guard just a few hours before (even though his place still sat there for him, whenever he wished to return). 

     Maggie's soft eyes met his for a brief moment, doing their best to silently calm and encourage him as much as she could. Gulping hard, he finally gathered his composure. "Gina was real. She always saw the light— even here. She deserved better. May we meet again."

     Just as everyone was about to reiterate the phrase, a faint buzzing caught everybody's attention and interrupted the silent atmosphere. A few guards came in with determination written across their faces, completely indignant to what was going on before they came in. 

     Quieting down, everyone did their best to hear what their appearance was relating to. "I just saw em. Whole encampment, three hundred strong. Just behind the tree ridge. It's a bunch of em— it's Grounders. They're coming."

     Like she had anticipated, Pike marched up to reiterate the news that, in all honesty, didn't seem to shock Kane or Abby too much. Their conversation was too low for anyone to clearly listen, unless they were standing right there.