❀ | chapter twelve

012.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❃ ◦ ━━━━━━ 

     "We can't do what's needed to defend this camp if every order I give is leaked before it can be executed. It's an old saying, but it's true: the walls have ears. But we can't afford any more assumptions about who's a friend and who isn't. Not your oldest acquaintance. Not your husband, wife, or lover. You got that, Bellamy?" 

     Kane, Miller, Harper, and Maggie all gathered around the table, on-nerve. Pike and some of his followers were having a meeting to regroup, following the events of the night prior. He knew it before, but the results of their attempt to seize the village only confirmed one thing for him: there were traitors that he wanted to identify. 

    Maggie wanted to kill him so bad, but she knew that successfully doing so would require patience, and a well thought-out plan.

     "We're fighting two wars now," Pike continued, "And the more dangerous one is here, inside this camp. We can't prove it yet. But Kane and his accomplices passed information to Octavia. I know none of you signed up to investigate your neighbors, but Monroe and Lacroix died because the traitors in this camp sold them out to the Grounders. Whoever did that will be hunted down and exposed for what they did to their own, and what they did to us. Now you get whatever resources, whatever personnel you need to make that happen. Dismissed." Miller flicked off the switch forcefully, teeth gritted. 

     "If they're going to play that game, we need to play it too," Kane advised, unwavering. 

     "Meaning?"

     Rising from his seat, he exhaled loudly, "We don't meet here again, for starters. We change our  patterns. Forget our habits. Take a different route through camp each time we go out. Assume that there are eyes on us at all times."

     Harper glowered at the strict protocol, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "Or, we could just shock-lash Pike's fascist ass and hand him to the Grounders."

     "That's a plan I could get behind," Maggie nodded, slamming her fists on the table and highlighting her usual determination, "But right now, that'd be a death sentence."

     "That would be murder Harper," Kane placed a fatherly hand on the girl's shoulder, "Not to mention, treason. And that's not who we are."

     Miller, being the only one still seated and in deep thought, murmured, "Maybe it's who we need to be." 

     With all of the teenagers having a similar consensus, it seemed as though Kane almost considered it, trying to think of a plausible way to pull it off victoriously. "Not yet."

      Rubbing his face, Nate shook his head, "All right, then— what's the plan?"

———

     After listening in on yet another meeting, the group was able to gather more decisive information on what Pike's next course of actions were. Kane might not have established a solid plan earlier on in the day, but he had now. 

     Kane was a sheer genius, as far as Maggie was concerned. The plan was a little out of character for him, if you were to ask her, but genius, regardless.