❀ | chapter eight

008.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❃ ◦ ━━━━━━

     Waking up to an urgent knocking at her door wasn't the ideal way for Magnolia to begin her morning, but she couldn't say she was surprised.

     The night before was incredibly lonely, sleeping alone in a bed that was so accustomed to having two, and it didn't help that there was a shitload of things keeping her brain active. The fear of the next day's election, and not to mention the fact that she finally had her appointment with Abby in the morning. Bellamy insisted he'd be there, but with his current status as being in lockup, she wondered if that'd be possible. It was highly likely that he could be let out for the sake of being Magnolia's support, but she wasn't positive.

     So really, it was probably a good thing that she was being woken up by the insistent tapping at her door.

     "What's wrong, Tavia?" she questioned as she let the girl into her room, "Besides the fact that I need to get to medical for my appointment with Abby."

     "You picked up an overnight shift. It's not a surprise you're tired and groggy," the younger Blake chuckled, although not actually sounding entirely amused.

     "We gotta go get Bellamy out of lockup. He promised me he'd come—even though I don't know if I can look at him seriously," her head shook, grabbing a brush to untangle the knots within her charcoal-colored hair.

     "Don't even bother. He's not here," her voice sounded solemn, yet also irate.

     Turning around quickly, the girl squinted her eyes. "What do you mean? Where is he?"

     "He went with Pike to attack the Grounders," she gulped; it was evident she didn't want to say it, but she had to come to terms with it. It wasn't worth beating around the bush.

     Eyebrows raising a significant amount and her body almost freezing, Gray attempted to figure out what she wanted to even say. "What are we waiting for, then? We have to stop them!"

     "We can't," the girl's head lowered.

     "Why the hell not?"

     Swallowing hard yet again, she nonchalantly gave the answer, "Pike won the election."

      That's when Maggie really felt her heart drop. She wanted to spring into action, but she didn't have a single clue on how to do so, "Well, we need to come up with a plan. What are we—"

     "Nothing right now," Octavia cut the girl off before she could finish her statement, "As important as it is you know that, that's not why I'm here. Also— I don't even think there's any possible way we can do anything; Pike's men are keeping tabs on Kane— and probably you too."

     Magnolia tilted her head out of curiosity, "Then why are you here?"

     "Because of your appointment with Abby," the teenager replied, as if it were obvious, "Whatever happens, I'm not letting you do this alone. Especially when it's my brother who's being the asshole. So just get ready, and then we'll go."

     "I'm not the issue at hand right now," she insisted almost sternly, but only because she believed there were more important matters to worry about.

     "You're not an issue, but you are my focus right now, yes," Octavia persisted, "We can't do anything at the moment, but we will when the opportunity rises. We're no good if we're dead, Maggie."