❀ | chapter ten

010.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❃ ◦ ━━━━━━ 

     "Maggie," Clarke heaved a hard sigh, sensing solace in a familiar face she knew she could confide in— or, believed she could, anyway. It had only been a mere few months, but it seemed as though Clarke had aged much more. Her hair many inches longer than it was before, it was pulled into an elaborate, famous Grounder hairstyle. Braids laid atop her head and cascaded downward, accompanying the sporadic strands of fuscia peaking out from underneath.

     The Griffin girl's arms almost reached out to pull her into an embrace, but not before her eyes could roam, and Maggie could feel the uneasiness that shifted in the room, like it was a tangible object. It was the jacket, no doubt. 

      A little smile warmly etching the corner of her mouth, she stepped forward. "God, don't worry— I'm not with Pike." she announced earnestly, wrapping her arms around the blonde and relaxing her shoulders with the touch, "It's really good to see you," she spoke into Clarke's shoulder. 

     Clearly, Maggie's face wasn't rid of all emotions from the events that had unfolded earlier on, because Clarke's brows furrowed, "Are you okay?" 

     "I'm not used to being up against our own people and losing. And for the first time ever, I have absolutely no clue what to do," she admitted casually, although her feelings were fiercer than ever before, "And I hate to say it, but I really could've used you here. We all could've."

      There was no use in screaming at her over it, because it was evident that Clarke was already well aware. All she had to do was take a look around, and that was enough to speak a thousand words. "I knew I could leave— because I trust you. And I trust Bellamy."

     "Yeah, well—" Maggie picked at her nails, "You can't anymore. I tried to get through to him earlier— he just insists that he's doing it to protect the people he loves, but it's not all him talking."

     Intrigued, Clarke cocked her head, "What do you mean by that?"

     "The night he first defied the rules, before Pike won the election, he spoke to me like a goddamn robot. I could smell the alcohol every time he talked. And I'm not saying that he's not to blame, because I've already laid into him— he was an asshole," the brunette explained with her infamous conviction, "But Pike gave him some sort of ultimatum, or manipulated him, or something— I know it. Whatever he did, it doesn't matter, because Bell's entirely in it. He's going along with it almost proudly, and if I can't get through to him, then I don't know what can."

     Shrugging and speaking in a flat voice, she replied, "I have to at least try— it's the whole reason why I came back. I'm trying to get us out of going into war. Maybe you shouldn't be here for it— let me try and give a him a new perspective. Make it seem like you never even knew I was here."

     Not many people were better with their words than Maggie was, so a part of her wanted to tell Clarke "no shot," but her conscience aided her in keeping her mouth shut. 

     So, nodding in a sort-of understanding, she agreed, "Okay. But what am I supposed to do while everything around us is turning to shit? Just sit back and let it?"

     Lips pursing as she seemed to determine an answer, her eyes met Maggie's, "I trust you better than myself to make that decision. But, for the record— you've always been a good inside woman," a glimmer suddenly becoming prominent in her eyes, the Gray girl could kinda tell where Clarke was heading with that idea. "There's not much time until Octavia gets back here will Bellamy, so..."