❀ | chapter sixteen

016.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❃ ◦ ━━━━━━ 

     "Sure about the route?" Pike expressed his concern as everyone walked through the forest, "We're getting close to the blockade line."

     Effortlessly responding, Bellamy answered, "That's why Kane set up out here. He didn't think we'd risk it."

     To be fair, that was partially true. The cave they were in was relatively-close to Grounder territory, and it was intentional on Kane's part. However, that particular cave was nowhere near the direction they were headed. Maggie had noticed it early on, somewhat thankful that Bellamy had a plan that would actually aid them and not Pike. Due to both the gag in her mouth, along with the fact that many guards were mere feet away, she wasn't able to communicate with her allies in secret, but she had an inkling they had caught on by now, too.

     "Well, he was wrong," Pike spoke with a sort of confidence in his tone, and the girl could almost let out a laugh at how wrong he was soon going to be. Magnolia knew that terrain better than most, and she knew that it was a short matter of time until Pike was screwed. 

     Continuing on, Bellamy inquired, "What's gonna happen to my sister and my girlfriend?" The mention caused the two to look to one another. Maggie didn't truly understand his point in doing so, knowing that once the Grounders caught as much as a glimpse on the blockade line, Pike wouldn't stand a chance. Perhaps it was to humor him for the time being, or to make himself seem more loyal, but either way, Maggie decided to remain silent and play the waiting game. "I know they have to answer to their crimes, but—"

      "I'll tell you what," he interrupted, "I'll make you the same promise I made to Monty's mother. Immunity from all past actions— but if either of them screw up again—"

     "Oh, they won't," he looked back at them, their faces not seeming all that convincing, "I'll make sure of it. My sister, my responsibility."

     Expressing his concern, Pike's eyes glared back at Gray. "Good luck with that spitfire. She was level-headed in my classes on the Ark, and I actually really respected her on the ground at first, but now—" 

     "I get it, I do," Bellamy confirmed, seeming as though he didn't particularly find enjoyment in someone else talking about Maggie in any negative way, "She's tough, but I know her better than anyone else. You don't need to worry— not anymore."

    Rolling her eyes in Octavia's direction, she damn-near scoffed, and it would've been much more obvious if it weren't for the gag. At that point she had assumed it was a mere act of sucking up before hell ensued, but regardless, Bellamy was not acting like himself. 

     Strangely, the otherwise silent trip led to Maggie thinking. Just a few months prior, Bellamy had been a rebel to the core, preaching for everyone to do 'Whatever the hell they wanted,' carrying his high-and-mighty persona like it was entirely natural. While that may have caused more trouble than good, and she could acknowledge that, it was at a time like that where she wished he'd return to his younger mindset. So much had changed within such a short period of time. 

     After some time, the group had reached a clearing that particularly made Pike stop in his tracks. "Hold on," he raised a fist in the air, and all of his minions adhered immediately.

     A beat of silence passed, and Bellamy pointed, "The cave's just on the other side."

     Maggie prayed that Pike didn't know his directions as well as he claimed to, because Bellamy was a liar.