the one where you go on a walk

happy new year <3 hope 2022 treats u well. didn't check for typos on this one :*

cold air, a soft breeze, the sun shining bright as if it were july; it was the perfect afternoon for niall and you to go on a walk. even though it was extremely cold, the weather was very nice and you hadn't been outside today, yet. niall and you didn't really get time off on the same days, so when you did, you both wanted to make the most out of it. taking a walk was nice and you could both clear your head and talk about stuff you wanted to get off your chest.

"fuckin' hell, it's cold," niall said as soon as he stepped outside. you laughed at his comment, nodding your head in agreement. "it's winter, bub. of course it's gonna be cold outside." you tied your scarf a little tighter, making sure no wind could come close to your skin. "i will never take summer for granted again, i'm so happy the sun is out."

"what are ya talking about? you basically are the sun," niall said as he grabbed your hand when you started walking. you turned your head to look at him and rolled your eyes. "you need to stop kissing my ass, i'll make you sleep on the couch tonight." niall squeezed your hand three times, a silent 'i love you' that had become a ritual whenever you were going on walks together.

"you're so not making me sleep on the couch. i know you just love it when i'm next to you in bed, plus i keep you warm." you smiled and shook your head. you knew he was right, you just wanted to deny that you really did love him this much. it always felt so surreal to have him close to you, since you had been crushing on him for so long. it was your biggest wish to end up with him and now that you have him, it felt too good to be true. and it was scary to be this in love, but it was also the best thing that ever happened to you. you can't remember the last time you were this happy. you didn't even know if you ever were this happy in your life.

"i secretly do love it, cuddling up to you is my favorite part of the day," you said to him. he smiled at you and kissed the side of your head as he put his arm around you, instead of holding your hand. "how's the sleeping thing going by the way? i feel like you slept through the whole night," he said calmly.

you had been struggling with sleeping lately. usually winter is just a little bit hard on you as you feel more lonely due to it being dark outside most of the time, but when niall was around it always made you sleep better. "it's better when you're here and not in los angeles. i don't know what it is, i guess you make me feel like i'm safe for some reason." a short comforting silence fell as you continued to walk down the street.

niall was always very concerned about you and your sleeping schedule, knowing that it changed from time to time how you were sleeping. sometimes you had weeks where it was no problems to sleep through the night, other nights you were up having panic attacks and busy worrying about life.

"i always feel like crap when i leave you all alone in that big house," niall said. now it was your turn to squeeze his hand three times. "niall, don't. it comes and it goes and that's how it's always been. seriously, you don't know how lucky i even feel that you want to sleep in the same bed as me, even though i'm up all night."

"yeah, and i'm gonna continue to do so because i love you and we're working towards a future with less nights like that." niall stopped walking and you turned around. "what is it? your legs don't work anymore?" you joked. "i'm serious, babe."

"i know you are," you wrapped your arms around his waist. "but this; us, going on a walk and talking is already doing so much for me. it's gonna make me fall asleep with a smile on my face tonight." you pecked his lips and looked him in his eyes. he gave you another few kisses, right in the middle of the sidewalk, making sure people had to walk around you if they were passing. one lady with a dog even scolded at you for kissing on the street. the soft laughter you shared convinced you to share another kiss and then you started off on your walk again, talking about everything and nothing. you wouldn't have it any other way.

comment your request if you have one!