nine

Like any other shift, Anastasia walked into the station with her LAFD duffel bag of stuff and greeted everyone. She of course had to put her stuff away in the locker rooms, but since she already had on the LAFD shirt and pants, she didn't spend much time in there.  "Did you guys hear about that virus in China? They're quarantining the whole country and everything."  Howie basically announced to the whole station.

"Oh yeah, I saw that on the news before I left my house this morning.  They said it started in November though, that's—what?— five months ago? I'm surprised it hasn't spread anywhere."

Howie let out a low whistle before saying, "Oh, it's spread alright. They found it in Seattle last week and it killed a bunch of people in a retirement home." Howie stated, looking down at his phone to make sure he was reading everything right. "Jesus, that's a lot of people."

"Wait, you guys don't think we'll have to quarantine too, do you? Like China?" Buck asked the group. Since the shift was barely starting, people were either cleaning or check the supplies in all the trucks, but he was sitting on the side of one of the fire trucks.

"I think that depends on how bad it gets, B."  Anastasia commented, coming over to join the group by hopping up to sit beside him.

"I hope not, I'm a very extroverted person."  Buck told the group.

In response, all he got were nods and a few mocking gasps.  "I think we all knew that one, B."  Hen said, using the nickname Anastasia had given him against him. 

Before anyone else could say anything or further tease Buck, the sirens in the station house went off.  "Already?  It's barely seven in the morning, come on people!"

However, everyone was still quick to get the trucks ready because despite how early it was, they all enjoyed their jobs and overall helping people. The ride to where they were needed wasn't like the jet rides in the BAU, so rather than discussing where they were go and what was needed, everyone had normal conversations. "Did you guys know Anastasia's famous?" Kind of normal conversations at least.

"No I'm not, he's lying." Anastasia said into her headset, eliciting laughs from everyone in the truck as it sped down the streets with the sirens blaring.

"No I'm not, I swear this time. Remember I kept saying she looks familiar? It's because everyone on social media calls her Phoenix because she saved some kids from a burning house in like 2017 by herself. Obviously they interviewed her and she looks like this, so boom! Fame. Wait, was boom okay to use for that situation?" Buck asked genuinely, not wanting to come across badly since he just explained that some kids almost died in a house explosion.

He spoke very energetically, enough for the team to not even recognize he had said boom in his explanation, but before anyone else could put in their two cents, the track started slowing down before finally coming to a park on the street. "We'll figure it out later, but for now, we have to put out this fire."

× × ×

A shifts later, the team was sitting upstairs in the dining room eating dinner since it was kind of a slow day, surprisingly.  Bobby was the main chef of the house, but every once in a while, someone would help him in the kitchen, just not this time.  "Bobby, he stole my garlic bread again."  Anastasia ratted out, pointing her finger at Buck who had taken a large bite out of two separate pieces of bread.

"No fighting at the table or you're both grounded."  Bobby said monotonously, which Anastasia thought was unfair because she didn't do anything. 

With a pout on her face, Anastasia reached over to grab another piece of bread, that she would hold in her hand this time.  When she sat back down, she noticed there was a hole in the center of her lasagna and Buck was still chewing. This time she didn't say anything and just let Buck watch her as she used her fork to steal from his plate of lasagna. "Bobby, are you seeing this?" Buck exclaimed as if he wasn't stealing her food since they sat down.

"You guys sound like an old married couple that have been together since high school."  Hen commented, which everyone found oddly specific.  Simultaneously, the two gave the same appalled look.  "See, same mannerisms and everything."

"Wha—"

Again, despite it being 8PM, the bell in the house went off and had everyone dropping their utensils onto their plates, the sound of them clattering echoing around the upstairs platform. "I swear that bell has something against us." Anastasia told Buck. "It goes off before we can ever defend ourselves."

"Right?"  For being on the same page, the two high-fived before following everyone downstairs to their gear and into the trucks.

Everyone got into their seats, and although they weren't assigned, they sat in their usual seats. Buck and Anastasia sat beside each other, everyone finally finding out from the radio what they were dealing with and what to be prepared for. The fire was at a Hibachi restaurant, one of those Asian restaurants where they cook the food right in front of you, and supposedly the fire had gotten too big for the chefs to handle.

The owner said they evacuated everyone out of the building, but the team double checked anyways while some people remained outside to put the fire out. The restaurant was pretty small, and with four of the 118 members making sure it was empty, which it thankfully was, putting out the dire didn't take long at all. About half an hour later, the team was leaving to go back to the firehouse.

"I call dibs on heating my food up first." Anastasia and Buck said simultaneously. "Stop doing that!" They both said again.

"I'm never speaking again." Anastasia proclaimed, crossing her arms as she leaned back into her seat.

For a second, Buck just stared at the side of her face, since she was sitting in the middle seat, before he reached over to poke her side.  Since they still had on their heavy jackets, he couldn't exactly tickle her, so poking her would have to suffice.  Involuntarily, Anastasia flinched and practically jumped out of her seat and into Hen's lap, before she voluntarily punched him in his arm.

"Ow!  Why do you punch like a man?"

"She was FBI for five years, Buck.  She could probably do a lot more than bruise your arm."  Hen explained as if it was the most obvious thing.

"Yeah, she could also bruise your ego."  Eddie commented, eliciting a chorus a laughter through the radio everyone in the truck was tuned in on.

LMAO I STILL HAVE TO FINISH MY FAFSA FOR NEXT SCHOOL YEAR😹😭💔💔💔

anyways i start school again next wednesday (jan 12 😮‍💨) and im not ready at all... like i miss my besties but i hate being a woman in STEM omg

 like i miss my besties but i hate being a woman in STEM omg

VOTE AND COMMENT FOR NEXT CHAPTER ‼️🪐