fifteen

After dealing with the bus incident, it was like everything just kept getting worse. In addition to there being floods all over the city, one of the hills was damaged by the water and caused all of the houses to slide down. It was something like an earthquake, but only the houses on the hill were targeted. The 118 were now by the Hollywood sign, with a few other stations, to do some rescue missions.  Since they split up, Anastasia was walking around with Chimney and Buck, trying to find people who needed saving.  However, that also meant that they were finding dead bodies and marking them before moving on to the rest of their path.

"Wait, guys, shut up for a second."  Anastasia said, interrupting what Buck was saying while her hand was up to stop him from talking.  "Is that a baby?"

The trio stayed quiet, trying to listen for the baby Anastasia was talking about when another cry broke the silence and had them running towards the sound.  Given the information that there was a baby somewhere in all the damage, they were scrambling to find it, but were only able to find a baby monitor under some of the rubble.  "Baby monitor, but where's the baby?"

"I wish babies had something like Find My."  Anastasia mumbled.  Because they didn't end up finding a baby, the three started walking, but with just the monitor, they didn't know where they were going.

"Find My Baby."  Buck smiled to himself.

Anastasia nodded and while the two were lost in their own little world, Howie was messing with the baby monitor.  "Wait, don't baby monitors only work within a certain distance?  If we can still hear the baby, we have to be close, right?"

"There shouldn't be any feedback, the louder it gets, the closer we should be to the transmitter."  Buck explained on to her revelation.

Howie was the soon-to-be dad, so he knew more than Buck and Anastasia, but he nodded to their explanations.  "Find My Baby."

"I knew that would catch on!  We should really trademark that." 

Once again, the three started walking by all the damage and through the mud.  Right now, finding the baby was their top priority since it was the only sign of life around the area they were in. While they were all walking and listening to the baby monitor, Buck and Howie were talking about Howie's future role as a father. He kept thinking of the worst case scenarios and saying he was going to be a horrible father, despite everyone in the house telling him otherwise. It seemed like a family conversation between dad and uncle, so Anastasia didn't want to intervene, but she really thought Howie was downplaying how good of a caretaker her was.

"Chimney, you're not giving yourself enough credit, okay? You're going to be a great dad."

"I have zero evidence to prove that." Howie said.

"I think you're just downplaying yourself and setting low expectations because of your personal experiences with your father. That way it's practically impossible to let yourself down when your child finally enters the world."

"I really don't need to be profiled right now, but thank you."

"I'm no profiler, but I think she's right because— woah, this has gotta be where the transmitter is!"

The three looked around for a second, only to find out they were standing on the roof of the house where the baby's cries were coming from. "Of all houses it could've been, it just had to be the one that's completely buried. How are we supposed to get in?"

Again, the three were observing their surroundings, trying to find a way to get in. "Chimney." Was all Buck mumbled, confused Howie and Anastasia because what was he to do? Smash through the roof? "What? No, the chimney it's how we get into the house."

× × ×

Getting the baby out of the house was no easy task, as it revealed a baby trafficking ring. There were a bunch of teenagers pregnant when Chimney went down the chimney, but other than the lady who took them, everyone was safe, including the baby from the monitor. While down there, Chimney even helped one of the girls give birth, so the three pulled out 4 girls and 2 babies.

"This has gotta be the longest shift I've ever done in this job." Anastasia sighed. After pulling them all out, there wasn't much left to do since the rest of the area was already checked.

"I can't imagine thinking you have someone to help you and your baby, only to have them hold you hostage and sell your baby?"

"Illegal adoption rings aren't as rare as people think they are. And they're never easy to deal with." Anastasia said from firsthand experience. "Hey, where'd Bobby go? He leave early?"

"Nope, he's still working." Hen told the group.

After cleaning up all of the equipment they had set up to get into the house, everyone got back into the trucks to go back to the station and finally go home.  It was almost 6AM, so before going home to crash, Buck and Anastasia were going to get breakfast. 

After what Buck had said after the bus accident, he stayed quiet about it for the rest of the shift, but Anastasia didn't forget about it.  With the end of the shift, and the next team was coming in, everyone was walking out to their cars, ready to go home and rest.  Anastasia and Buck were carpooling of course, but they were going to some restaurant/cafe for breakfast, or brunch at this point.

"Hey, B? Can I ask you about something?"  She asked from his passenger seat, minutes after leaving the station house.  Obviously, he didn't object to her asking a question, so she carried on.  "After the bus call, you said something I wanted to ask you about."

"Oh, I uh— I thought you forgot about that."

"I've found that it's kinda hard to forget stuff involving you, Buckley." Anastasia sent him a smile, even though he was looking at the road, trying to ease up the tension in the car. "I just wanted to know what you meant by that."

Buck took a sigh, trying to compose himself because it wasn't that he thought she forgot about what he said, but more like he was wishing she forgot. "Well, you know— I just— we've become so close in the short time you've been part of the 118. I mean, like everyone's been saying, we basically live together and, frankly, I can't really imagine my life without you anymore. I barely remember life from before you came, which is kind of a good thing with some of my memories."  Buck explained.  "Also, I wasn't mad that you did that—that's literally our jobs—I just got scared.  When the explosion happened, I thought you got hurt, or were just gone."

In the middle of his declaration, Buck pulled into the parking lot of where they were choosing to eat, and by the end of what he was saying, they were parked.  "Lucky for you, I can't imagine life without you either.  We're both stuck with each other." 

"You say that like it's a bad thing."  Buck smirked.  Somehow, while they were both just staring at each other from across the console, they didn't notice that they were holding hands in the middle.  But that conversation was the first of many for them.

LMAO atp im just teasing u and me 😭🙄 idk if the end is considered them going on a date, especially after that short convo, but too bad

so since we all know it's coming, how do u think the first kiss is gonna happen😋

VOTE AND COMMENT FOR NEXT CHAPTER‼️🙅🏽‍♀️